McEve's tank

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

McEve's tank

Post by Plastic Mac »

Having viewed the gallery I wanted to know how McEve terraced her tank. It looks really good and I've been wanting to try a terraced tank for a long time but haven't been able to come up with an idea that would look very natural ie, using sheets of perspex or something similar. However, McEves tank looks fantastic and I would really like to know how you acheived that effect (I did leave a comment on one of the photos but never got an answer, hence why I'm trying the forum now :D )

On a side note, I check the gallery regularly (probably every day) and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who does since no-one has uploaded any pics since roughly day 2 of the new site going up. So this is a request for everyone to start using the gallery so I'm not dissappointed every day when I go and check if there's anything new. :lol: :lol:

A tank + zebs + camera = no excuse! 8)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm so sorry Plastc Mac! I never got a message saying there was a comment, and... I will pull myself together and check the gallery more often too :wink:

Thanks for complimenting my tank! It was fun building it, and it looks like the Zebs like it too. Here's a step-by-step http://public.qtopia.no/catfish/250LTerrace.asp or here http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491 :D

I have the web cam set up showing the tank, it *might* be on the site in due time too - with LyreTails cave in it too :wink:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

That is genius!..I'm so impressed. I'd never have thought to use an old backdrop and it's such a simple idea...same with the coconut hair and that's the first good use of a coconut I have ever seen (I hate coconut! :D , tastes horrible!)
Where the backdrops originally from an old tank of yours or something?..if so that explains how you had an old one. The only reason I ask is these backdrops, at least to me, are a fairly new product. I've only seen them for sale in the last six months, on ebay, but the price of them is anywhere from £60 to a £120 depending on size which is far too pricey for a single tank effect, especially if I'm then going to cut into bits (the girlfriend would kill me). So do you have a tip on how to obtain an old cheap backdrop? :lol:

Your idea should be listed in the DIY section of the forum too.

Anyway, thanks for the link...when I obtain my new replacement main tank, hopefully in the next couple of months, I definitley going to have a go a terracing it.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I had the backdrop for sale for quite some time, as it is an expensive one. I bought it for a 250L, but even though it's a beautiful backdrop, it also steals about 1/3 of the tanks volume, so I just don't think it's worth having in as small a tank as that. Nobody wanted to pay more than £50 for it so I decided to keep it and build the terrace tank instead - and no regrets there lol

It's not something you'd want to do with a new backdrop though..... I got terraces in two other tanks from it too though, so one day - when I get a house (if! :roll:) - I'll have the two 250L standing next to eachother, and it will look as though the lower terrace continues i the other tank.

I'm sure it will work with a less expensive backdrop too though, one from AquaEl for instance. They're made of plastic, but look quite good! I only use them as backdrops in my tanks now, as they steal next to nothing of the colume, and they look good enough for me.

I know it sounds very extravagant to cut a backdrop like this in pieces, but.... it was just sitting there and nobody wanted it so... there you go...

I've seen bamboo used for making terraces, but I don't know how durable it would be in water. Maybe if it's coated with epoxy or something it would last? And that looks good too :)

Thanks for your comments, it always makes me happy when people say they like it, as I buildt it all by myself, and that I'm quite proud of LOL