pipe caves ???

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
jacew
Forum Follower

pipe caves ???

Post by jacew »

can anyone help???
ide like to make a few additional hiding places for my pleco's
L75 /L134/ L201/ L37 / Bristlenose and of corse my zebs.
does anyone use or does anyone know if it would be possible to put in plastic 1 1/2 " waste pipes into the water without it leeching chemicals into the tank water ?? if so could they be considered as spawning caves. :oops: i just thought id ask. i really dont know.

thanks in advance for the info
cheers john
alga
Groupie

PVC

Post by alga »

If you are using PVC that is used for potable water you will be fine. I would also consider 1 1/4 inch and 1 inch PVC and let the fish make a choice. Also buy the caps for the ends to make them true caves and not tunnels if that was not already what you were going to do. Just find a way to stop them from rolling around the tank. :lol:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Any plastic used in a tank should be soaked for an hour or so to allow any chemicals to leach out, even if it's pvc piping used for water.
better to be safe than sorry.
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

i made these a few month back, my queens love them

jacew
Forum Follower

Post by jacew »

thats great hamish / cool whats it made of??
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

its made from a big chunk of slate from homebase drilled out with a coredrill, i havent had time to make any for the zebs yet so i dont if the will like them or no
jacew
Forum Follower

Post by jacew »

thought it looked like slate, but wasnt sure because the holes are so round. errmmm got a core drill :)
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

i thought about making some to sell but the one you can see would be a bit heavy to be sent through the post
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

I currently have black plumbing pvc in my tank. I used safety zip ties and window screen material to make backs for the caves. I cut the ends of the zip ties and tipped the ends with aquarium silicone. A thin layer of silicone was used on the edges of the window screen material to secure it to the pvc. Be sure to allow 48 hours to let the aqurium silicone fully dry and release all chemicals.

So far during the cycling of my tank, I have not lost any fish. I'll let you know if my zebra will like the caves or not once the tank is cycled.
jacew
Forum Follower

Post by jacew »

many thx
cheers