I have a male.. who is doing a good job.. well to good :O

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Robbert
Groupie

I have a male.. who is doing a good job.. well to good :O

Post by Robbert »

I got a male with fry who practically never leaves the cave (so far he was always there during the evening, night, early morning etc etc..also no feeding for to days and then feeding didn't work). Although the fry were still in the cave.. a second female joined the male and a second clutch was layed...
Is there any danger of the fry eating the eggs? If so, any ideas how to get the male out without stressing him to much (so no shaking of the cave etc etc...) so that I can seperate the eggs from the fry?

best wishes Robbert

I
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Robbert

Congratulations, a very good achievement.

First of all don't worry about the fry and the eggs, they shouldn't bother them. The male will continue to mouth the eggs and keep them clean. The fry will just continue to do what fry do, stick to the walls of the cave!!! :lol:

As for the feeding, the male can go for quite some time without eating, (one of mine went for 9 days without leaving the cave). The male will prepare for this and will leave the cave when he is ready.

You are doing things just right. Unless there are problems getting the fry to survive in the tank, I would suggest just leave them as they are.

Good luck and I hope this puts your mind at rest a little.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Robbert
Groupie

Post by Robbert »

Thanks Rob :)

I had fry before as you know but never together with new eggs.. now youre saying it.. I always got the idea that just before laying.. the males tend to be more 'from home' ... maybe to feedas much as they can?
best wishes Robbert
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Robbert

You will probably find that prior to the new female entering the cave the male ventured out occasionally to scavenge.

It is possible to remove the eggs by sumply tipping the cave upa dn giving it a little shake. They will be clumped together and easy to place in a fry trap. However, if you have successfuly raised the fry in the tank before I would suggest leaving them where they are.

good luck

rob :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"