To Add a Cave Or Not to Add a Cave?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GlockFu
Obsessed!!

To Add a Cave Or Not to Add a Cave?

Post by GlockFu »

Hello! Everyone here has such great knowledge and experience I can't help but to ask more questions hope you don't mind... :D

Okay, so if you read my other post, you would know that I just had my first batch of babies. I just wanted to get your opinions on whether and why I should or shouldn't add another cave to the tank. Here is my situation...

I have 2 males and 4 females in a 26 gallon long tank. Currently I only have one cave in there and it is placed in the middle of the tank. I origionally did this because I wanted to get my first spawning as quickly as possible and thought by doing this it would bring out the Alpha male and really show the tank who's boss in hopes of encouraging a spawning. I now have had my first and spawning but now I kind of want to add the second cave for the Beta male in hopes that maybe I can be so lucky as to have him spawn as well. The reason I am hesitant to do this is because I am scared to change anything because I obviously want another spawning and don't want to change things.

Do you think that by adding another cave this could throw things off and decrease the chances of the Alpha male spawning again anytime soon? Also, do you think the longer I leave the Beta male without a cave the more uninterested the females will become with him?

Thanks again for all your thoughts and opinions! :mrgreen:
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I seriously doubt you'd have a spawn with the second male in a tank that size, IMO. If they are spawning, it's not broke, fight the urge to fix it! ;). Patience is the hardest part of this whole endeavor. Trust me, I know!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Congrats on the spawn, follow Barbies advice, she is the Queen of plec breeding :wink:

Tristan
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

I was lucky enough to be able to spawn multiple males in a 20gallon tank so it's possible to do so, but in your case I would not add another cave untill you get at least 3 spawns or at least 2 different females breed to insure that you have secured your future colony just incase mayham occurs when you have the 4th spawn and the male is in his cave add the 2nd cave for the beta male so that he would have about a week to get comftable with his cave, or you can do what I do make an enclosure out of an eggcrate "aka" light diffuser or any plastic screen mesh with one side open and place the cave inside, open side face down just like a shark cage to keep the alpha male out of the beta males cave leave it in for a few weeks make sure you place this contraption where the food settles so that he has enough to eat. ggod luck and congratulations on your success.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Thanks Tristan, I think! I wish I felt like the queen of anything at the moment. I just got home from vacation (meeting my new inlaws) and lost an entire tank of my fish while I was gone, with 3 other tanks very ill. I haven't purchased new fish in ages. Imagine my dismay to find my breeder zebras covered in ich. I do mean covered! They've all recovered nicely, but it made for a very rough home coming, let me tell you. Some of the fry weren't so lucky in other tanks, but the breeders survived at least.

At least in keeping zebras, I would err on the side of caution and split up the group. If I'd lost my main breeding group, I'd still have had another tank with 3 adults, and then the few that I've kept for my own growouts in another tank yet. Then again, maybe everyone doesn't have luck that runs in streaks like mine ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Thanks for all the Congrats! I'll take the advice and leave it alone for now. You're right Barbie... its the itchy hands of a hobbiest that always wants to improve things and ends up creating more problems :? what is it?? I totally have that problem hahaha I actually just did it again by replacing my airtube which I think made my male abandon his cave. I think it was because it was so new, alot of vibrations were getting transfered from the pump into the tank. :x

Zebra046 thanks for sharing your methods. I think I will try it later... I have to at least give it a try. How was your 20 gallon set up? Did you have their caves on both sides of the tank or was one in the middle and one on the side or a different combination?

Barbie, I am SO sorry to hear about all the problems your having with you tanks... that has to be very stressful. Im sure you'll figure it out and fix though. Good luck with it and I hope it all works out. That's a good thing you seperated the colonies.
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Barbie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your lost. Hope all is well now. Do you have any idea how ich could have appeared in your tanks seeing that you have not added anything? Any insight would be great so others can learn. Thanks

Ken
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Glock fu,

How long did it take for your first spawn to happen has u only had 1 caves in there? interesting tactic :D How long have u had the colonie together?
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Hi Shell231,

I had the colony in there for about 10 months now. When I bought them the guy told me that it would be about 6 months before they would be ready to breed. He had older ones but he would not be able to tell their age so he suggested these instead so I can get the most out of their adult breeding lives. I think I changed it to one cave about 4 months ago so it was about 3 months after I did it when they spawned. I dont know if this really had an impact on it or not since his estimation of 6 months was pretty close to when it actually happened anyways.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Glockfu did you but then from Anthonys Tropical Fish...just a thought....Hey do ou have pics of your setup?? or even your caves? and what size did you get your zebras at??
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Hi Jerms.... oh I see you are in Los Angeles, yup thats exactly who I got them from. Did you get yours from him too? Did he tell you the same thing? They ranged from I think 2 inches to 2.5 inches or so. They have grown in my tank since I got them.

Sorry but I dont have any pics right now. I just bought a camera from my friend but dont have it yet and then I have to figure out how to work it. Hopefully I will soon though.