Zebra spawning ratio

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

urchysj

Zebra spawning ratio

Post by urchysj »

Someone on another forum is asking what a good sex ratio for breeding Zebras is....one male, 3 females? 3 males, one female? etc. I know someone here will know as I am curious myself. I notice most of mine are males. Are females hard to find? Thanks.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

It is definately better to have more females then males.
A male can spawn with more females, while a dominant male will probably not let the less dominant males space to spawn with the females.

I have got one male and 3 females and they do spawn. Though it seems the male spawns only with one of the females. Also it took almost 2 years before they started.

Either way, if you have the maximum number of both sexes you can get, you increase your changes that a breeding couple can be formed.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

could you work it 2 males to 3/4 females what are the chance of gettin a match? if i did get a match would i have to remove the beta male as he is basically not good for the spawn and put him in a different tank with more females, once the alpha male has be established in the other tank!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

very old post i know, but a question i have burning me up inside! :D i must get it off my chest!! lol
Adam

Post by Adam »

I would say 2 males and 4/5 females. Reason being that the females would be clear on who the dominant male is. Otherwise they could be waiting around for one to come along. The beta male can always be removed later on to form another colony if you want. I really do think that there needs to be a bit of male rivalry in order to entice the females to spawn. I'm not saying that it wont happen otherwise, I just think it speeds things up a bit.