Sexing Zeb's ?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
midnight pearl
Forum Follower

Sexing Zeb's ?

Post by midnight pearl »

Hi:Everyone,
I just bought 2 young juveniles Zeb's at 3-4 cm's from a breeder which he showed me the sex each of the individual fish . There were originally 4 to choose from & out of them 3 had "Wider Head & body " size Stockier compared to 1 which had a smaller & narrower "head" & not so much body size --when Viewed from the top . It was very clear for me to see . Could this be correct ???
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Re: Sexing Zeb's ?

Post by n00dl3 »

midnight pearl wrote:Hi:Everyone,
I just bought 2 young juveniles Zeb's at 3-4 cm's from a breeder which he showed me the sex each of the individual fish . There were originally 4 to choose from & out of them 3 had "Wider Head & body " size Stockier compared to 1 which had a smaller & narrower "head" & not so much body size --when Viewed from the top . It was very clear for me to see . Could this be correct ???
????? I think u missed a few words here and there... :?: :?: :?:
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I would say that at 3 - 4cm the fish are to young to sex with any accuracy, they are probably only about six months old and will not be sexually mature for at least another 18 months or possibly two years.

Al.C
midnight pearl
Forum Follower

Post by midnight pearl »

Thanks Alistair for your comment ,so i'm thinking next time if i do purchase more Zeb's i should buy one smaller than the Other --Hoping the smaller one = Females & the bigger one = Males .Would you recommend this ?

Missed a few words ?

I think i did my best to explained the Question.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

i dont think it works like that, in my experience the smaller fish at that age just as likley to be males as they are to be females, its only once they are full grown (or near enough) that it becomes easier to sex them and even then its still hard.... your best bet is to buy a few fish and keep your fingers crossed :) good luck
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236