Vitamins

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

Jojoyojimbi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Jojoyojimbi wrote:tried fresh garlic?
I use garlic extract every now and then (good thing you reminded me!), and it helps boost their immunity, get rid of internal parasites and provides them them with needed vitamin C.
That's what I'm here for ;)
Just seen this, garlic oil or fresh crushed garlic added to a shrimp of fish mix will shif any internal parasite problems, also crushed pumpikin seeds are good.

The active part of garlic (I forget the name) will quickly degrade as it oxidises in the open air, and light. Mix into food quickly and fast freeze ASAP to prevent this.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Gallons are totally confusing for me. You have dry US gallon, fluid US gallon, UK gallon..... So you have to know where the person is from and what kind of substance we're talking about to be able to know :lol: (so please everybody, yet another reason for putting your location in your profile!) And of course, there's this unit called Liter ;) A Liter is a Liter is a Liter ;)

I've kept the lights off for the entire treatment perios, which is on day 3 now. The fish looks good, I have one lonley cardinal as a canary bird to make sure.

Metronidazole is a prescription medicine here as well, but I have been assured by my local LFS that it is the best medicine in this situation. I monitor the situation at all times, not feeling comfortable about it, but feeling even more uncomfortable about doing nothing than the strictest regime possible at all times concerning enviromet. (+ it takes a lot of work :P )

I have a fully cycled empty tank that I will move them to when the treatment is over, as I did suspect that the bacteria would go during to treatment, thanks for emphazising this side of medicating a tank!

Interpret no9? Never heard of. Where were you two weeks ago! :wink: :lol:

Thanks for your input Tom
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I've never had metro affect a biological filter yet. It's actually an antiprotozoal, not an antibiotic, it just has some antibiotic side effects. The daily 50% water changes DO reduce the number of bacteria present, but they don't have any problem catching back up if you don't over feed, IME.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Cheers Barbie, my pulse is going steady down to easy. I'm not used to diseases and medications, so this is quite an ordeal for me. I guess we all have to go through it sooner or later, I've just been lucky.
TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

Barbie wrote:It's actually an antiprotozoal, not an antibiotic, it just has some antibiotic side effects.
Barbie
I beg to differ.

Quote from drugs.com

"Metronidazole
(me troe NI da zole)
Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Protostat

What is metronidazole?
• Metronidazole is an antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.
• Metronidazole is used to treat infections such as abdominal infections, skin and tissue infections, bone and joint infections, gynecologic infections, and respiratory tract infections.
• Metronidazole may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide."

Quote from chemfinder.com

"Antiprotozoal, antithelmintic and antibiotic. White to pale-yellow crystalline powder

Chemical formula = C6H9N3O3"

Also -

"Flagyl S suspension contains the active ingredient metronidazole, which is a type of medicine called an antibiotic. (NB. Metronidazole is also available without a brand name, ie as the generic medicine.) Metronidazole is used to treat infections caused by bacteria and other micro-organisms called protozoa.

Metronidazole works by entering bacterial and protozoal cells and interfering with their genetic material (DNA). It damages the DNA and also prevents the bacteria and protozoa from forming new DNA. This ultimately results in metronidazole killing the micro-organisms, which clears up the infection."

And its still not designed for, or tested for, use in the aquatic environment.

So it is unknown how this accumulates in the fish (although it does have a quick half life, especially in the aquarium and under lights)

Just be careful - thats all I was getting at.

Hope your fish are OK

Tom
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Flagyl is the trade name for Metronidazole. The information I received about it came directly from my veterinarian. It is an antiprotozoal medication that has some antibiotic properties internally. I realize there isn't documented testing results, which is why I posted about my own personal experiences with it. I've used it to treat Oodinium, internal worms, and internal bacterial infections with great success. I started using it instead of the more harsh chemicals back when I kept discus. I wasn't sure of it's efficacy on plecos, so I started using it carefully until I was sure of dosing and what not. The dosage I recommended does NOT cause problems with your filtration, nor stress the fish, IME.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The female looks much better already, none of the fish has shown any signs of stress, and I'm now medicating the teenagers tank.

looks like this works - in my experience I might add now ;)