My zebra tanks - comments?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

blueblue
Obsessed!!

My zebra tanks - comments?

Post by blueblue »

These are my zebra tanks. Please give me some comments.
Thank you :D

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi,

They all look like they have airation and turnover rate good enough, but I wonder if the caves aren't too big for the Zebra to spawn in?

Remember the rule of thumb: width = the fish and one pectoral fin extended. Height = the fish + dorsal fin half extended. debth= twice the fish' bodylength.

This usually works good for most ;)
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Nice tanks!

A note of advice that Barbie taught me: The double layer of pots. The Zebras won't use them. I had a three layer cave setup and none even ventured above the first line of caves.

And good advice from McEve. My zebras will veer away from larger caves and only into ones they feel comfortable in. Heck, one of my adults prefers a cave he made under the driftwood rather than a slate cave.

I have a feeling you may find your zebras preferring the snug fit between the pots and under yourdriftwood.
blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

Thanks much McEve and Angela for your kind tips :)
i will reconstruct the tanks soon. For the cave, i find it difficult to
find the ideal ones, will continue to search for more.
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hi blublue..

why do you think it is difficult.. ? you just need a cave in a cave, that means you need a cave with a shadowy entrance. i use 11cm caves with an entrance of about 3 cm. on the caves i put slab of slate so there is a lot of shadow infront of the caves for the males. they like it to lie infront of the caves. so i can't see any problems with the caves !!
Kind Regards
Christian

http://www.APSnet.de
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Preferences in caves are personal taste and the zebras' too.

But keep in mind on being able to keep an eye on your zebras too because you want to make sure you can observe their behavior in case they show any signs of illness or you may get lucky and witness any courting in your tank :)

I had too much driftwood in mine in my first layout and ended up never seeing my zebras. I'll get a post of my new tank setup soon.. just procrastinating ;)

You could try slate of different sizes and using smooth top rocks or something similar to give the caves height and make multiple mini levels. I think there's a member here with a really good slate setup but I can't their pic.

Caves can be made out of many different materials, a search for the word 'caves' brings up a lot of useful information. But use what you like, this is your tank, have fun with it ;) If someone could get zebras spawning inside a pirate ship decor...well kudos and that's something very kinky there for the zebras (J/K!!!) :) hehe!