My New Zebs Arrived!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

My New Zebs Arrived!

Post by andrewcoxon »

well yesterday was the 1st time iv seen an actual zebra pleco and it was when mine arrived! i must say there the most beautiful fish iv ever had the pleasure of owning... iv bought them from hamish (2 x 1 year olds and a big mature male) and he kindly drove them down to me! there still a bit nervous but il post some piccies up once they settle down a bit. now all i need is a female and the puzzle is complete....!

all the best!

andy
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Congrats mate....good to hear it's all starting to happen for you. Let us know how you get on :D

Plastic Mac
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

cheers dude will do. if you spot any females for sale give me a nudge!

all the best,

andy
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

Lucky you, my first L046 was in the LFS in the display tank and so far they wont sell em to me for $80 each. As soon as I have more im going to keep offering sooner or later they will be mine :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

and on a side note a twisted laughing would be useful
Thebuddy is planning his tank
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

iv been trying to get them to feed (i made a food mix with prawns, carrots, peas, brocolli) but the big male doesnt seem interested as yet, although of one the little ones came and ate! i think this will get much easier as they settle into their new home?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
khblock
Obsessed!!

Post by khblock »

Congratulations on your new fish. I know you will do everything to keep them healthy and happy.

Take care,
k
http://www.blockstyle.com
http://www.bestfriends.com
http://worldwildlifefund.org
http://www.oceanconservancy.org
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

tried to get them to eat again this morning but to no avail! has anyone got any tips... should i turn the tank lights on/off - drop the food near as i can to them and then leave the room or what? iv made my own food with prawns, brocolli, peas, carrots and froze it, but have also tried them on tetra prima. i dropped a piece of my frozen food next to the big male and he didnt even look at it so im worried iv made it wrong or something....

any ideas..?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Feedingwise, I use carnivore pellets and pleco wafers... And don't worry too much about them not feeding, they come out to eat when you're not around and it's dark. :wink: :wink: :wink:

It's going to take a while before you see them out when you're in the room... Some people here will complain that they (L46) never get used to the sight of humans outside the tank. LOL. :lol:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
19wiggles86
Groupie

Post by 19wiggles86 »

I wouldn't worry. I have owned zebras since November last year and only saw mine feed for the first time two days ago. I just put the food in the tank before I go to bed, and its gone the next day.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

cheers guys! you'v eased my mind. been a few days on now and they seem to be settling down, although i hardly ever see the little ones as they hide behind the filter and the big male just lays next to it. iv got 2 caves in there for him but he doesnt seem interested in them, maybe this will change when i get my female? also i normally do a 15% water change on all my tanks per week. is this enough? for my zebs?

thanks for all your help.

p.s il post some pics of my tank and zebs up soon!
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

hi andrew,
try feeding them tetra prima, thats what the fry were eating before i took them to you, also your caves are a little on the small side,
the adult used to live in a big chunk of bogwood but im sure he will find some where to hide, they will take a week or 2 to settle in tho.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

hi hamish!

just got back from my trip and they seem to be still doing fine. my mother has been feeding them whilst iv been away but still not seen anyone eat anything although the prima appears to dissapear in the night. did you have them feeding through the day also or just when it gets dark?

cheers,

andy
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

hi,
i just fed them before the lights went out, you will very rarely see the you ones feeding as they are very shy, the only way to make sure they get some food is to put them in a breeding trap for a day or 2
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

hamish99 wrote:hi andrew,
try feeding them tetra prima, thats what the fry were eating before i took them to you, also your caves are a little on the small side,
the adult used to live in a big chunk of bogwood but im sure he will find some where to hide, they will take a week or 2 to settle in tho.
what size are your caves hamish?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236