Eco-Complete substrate

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

onemisterchristian
Forum Follower

Eco-Complete substrate

Post by onemisterchristian »

Ok, I did a quick search and was unable to see any topics on eco-complete planted as a substrate. I was wondering if anyone has had any spawns or even kept zebras with this.

The pro's seem endless...
1. It's black to reduce stress and enhance color
2. It's packaged in amazon blackwater
3. It's great for keeping plants also
4. It also has live bacteria

What are the negatives? Is the shape of the grain the problem? Will it harm the zebras in any way?
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but I didn't see it when I searched. Thanks in advance.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Re: Eco-Complete substrate

Post by Raul-7 »

onemisterchristian wrote:
The pro's seem endless...
1. It's black to reduce stress and enhance color
2. It's packaged in amazon blackwater
3. It's great for keeping plants also
4. It also has live bacteria

What are the negatives? Is the shape of the grain the problem? Will it harm the zebras in any way?
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but I didn't see it when I searched. Thanks in advance.
1. True, black is great for enhancing colors.
2. The water is just regular water; it's not 'black water' at all. Infact lots people have complained about it raising their gH and kH for the first few months of use; there have also been reports of contaminated batches in which raised PO4 levels to about 5ppm.
3. Almost any substrate with good porosity and CEC is good for growing plants. Not to mention almost all aquatic plants extract the nutrients they need from the water column. The only thing needed in the substrate is reduced iron (Fe2+) as iron is the only nutrient that oxidizes fairly easily in the water column.
4. Don't believe everything they say on the bag; there is no way it contains sulfur-fixing (Nitrobacter sp., etc.) bacteria as they need some source of carbon to survive and they do not reproduce or go dormant via spores; thus there's no way they can survive for months on a shelf.

The negatives; it is rather expensive for a bag half-filled with water. It effects water parameters. I'm not sure it will harm them, but maybe the rough edges on the gravel might irritate them - especially on their soft undersides. I would recommend black sand instead, IMO.
onemisterchristian
Forum Follower

Thanks raul
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

I have used it before and i wouldn't recommend it to be honest it caused terrible algae problems in my tank so i got rid of it quite quick. I don't see why you would need it any way as its a planting substrate and any plants you put in a zebra tank are probably going to die from either the heat or the water movement. Just my opinion though :wink:
onemisterchristian
Forum Follower

I don't know, I've seen varied opinions on plants. Some say they keep plants fine at zebra temps. Others say they always die. I like a planted tank, for looks and water quality. I really like the look of the black substrate. So, what about tahitian moon sand?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

You can't do sand deep enough to keep plants healthy without risking anaerobic pockets. Eco Complete isn't necessarily all that rough, IME, but it's also not my favorite plant substrate. This is really going to boil down to your preference. You can keep plants at 86, but they just don't thrive the way they do at 78. It's like discus, you can keep them at 78, but they just don't thrive like they do at 86 ;). Getting away with something and getting the optimum are two different things. You already plan to focus on the zebras, so if the plants are of secondary importance, you should be able to keep them well enough for that, no problem. Hope this helps!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
onemisterchristian
Forum Follower

Much appreciated barbie. I'll just do some easy plants and find a different black substrate. :)
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

I'm currently using Tahitan Moon Sand; I like the color but it seems to have raised my gH from 9 to 12 - but that's not a major issue as weekly water changes will soon run the effect into non-existence.

What Barbie said is generally true, however some plants can't thrive in such hugh temperatures. Plasts such as Java moss, Egeria densa, Dipilis diandra, Hottonia palustris, etc.
onemisterchristian
Forum Follower

That's what I've settled on, tahitian moon sand and were those plant suggestions ones that cannot handle it or ones that can?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I have thrown in about 5 zebras in a nano tank i had with eco-complete, CO2 and every type of plant and they did fine! I had them in for about 6 months with no problem. I was just going to use that tank for a bout a month but they looked really nice againt the glosso!! :wink: I dont think they really thrived in that tank though! Because after i put them in their own tank, 2 months later, FRY!! But even in the tank that they breed, in I had plants! Just pick plants that can handle the temp. and water conditions!