How should I position the cave?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Cascudo
Obsessed!!

How should I position the cave?

Post by Cascudo »

I just rearranged the decoration in my zebra tank.

I positioned the PVC pipe, that my male uses as breeding cave, in a way that the opening is directed to the front. Before the opening was directed to a side of the tank that is covered with a wall decoration.
I did that to be able to check if there are any eggs or fry inside the cave. But I noticed that he seemed to feel uneasy with the daylight falling inside his cave.

Is this a wise thing to do or does this impede the male to breed again?
How do you guys position the cave?
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I try and give as much privacy as possible when placing my slate caves, but not too private that it's impossible for me to look in now and again. With the pvc pipe; I have them scattered all over the tank, no set way, theyre only there for temperary chill out spots.

Do you have one end of your pipes capped?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Yes, I do have one end capped.

I shall observe the behaviour of the male. If it seems he doesn't feel save, I prefer to be sure and shall give him more privacy.

Thanks
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

If possible, I try and place the front of the cave with the flow going across it to increase watr movement within the cave.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The cave my male prefers, and where the spawns have taken place is positioned with the opening towards the water flow. I don't have as strong a current as might be apporpriate though, it's a 600 L/h pump providing the water flow.

He gets sunlight into the cave in the morning, when there is a sun - which is rare up here :P, but doesn't seem to mind it?

The cave is also a bit tilted back at the end to make a small slope backwards.