Hello from Andy UK

Hmmm...what else can I say!
greenneedle

Hello from Andy UK

Post by greenneedle »

Hi all,

New to the forum and almost a total stranger to all. I know SmithRC from TFF years ago.

As yet I don't have any zebs but am in the process of setting up a 125ltr tank for a group of 7 or so. You guys are best to advise me if that is too much/not enough etc.

It will be a planted tank however not CO2 enriched and we planted folks in the main use pretty heavy flow/circulation these days.

One question though. I read all the time that zebs do need good circulation but never much detail on it. I would rather use just a cannister for flow rather than supplementing with a circulation pump.

I currently have an Eheim 2224 (700lph) which gives me just under 6x turnover. Is that enough or should I move up to somewhere in the region of 1200lph? or more?

This project should be in place in the next couple of months and my plan is to be a couple of juvys from one source another couple a month later from another source so I can mix up bloodlines from the start etc. so any pointers to people you guys respect would be good.

Looking forward to this project as zebs have long been a dream out of reach for me :)

Regards
Andy
Zeno
Groupie

Re: Hello from Andy UK

Post by Zeno »

Hello Andy, welcome !

Imo, when you create enough hiding places, your tank is big enough for let's say 8-10 adult zebs.
Indeed, they like some flow but a lot of oxygen in the water is even more likely.
Try to break the surface (bubbles) of the water with the outlet of your filter.
I wish you a lot of success !

Greetz, Zeno
greenneedle

Post by greenneedle »

Does that mean that the 2224 @ 5.6x turnover is OK?

From reading other posts r.e. Zebs in planted tanks I think many have some outdated beliefs about how we run planted tanks these days.

Most of us use very high turnover filters or supplement them with circulation pumps. Most aim for 10x turnover+ and some anything up to 30x.

Of course most also use CO2 but for this project I won't be using CO2.

So as I've sort of ignored the 'zebs can't go in planted tanks' comments as they all seem to be assuming we have low circulation rates and still surfaces.

I tend to have my Lily pipe just breaching the water level and therefore have a good ripple in there. Plants will also add to the O content.

So as I understand your post I can basically set up the tank with the current filter and continue my practice of a good ripple on the surface?

Thanks for the help

Andy
Zeno
Groupie

Post by Zeno »

Hello Andy,

The turnover of your filter is ok ! Of course when you are adding lots of other fish which you have to feed it's maybe better to take higher filtering in order to have more clearness in the water.

There are plenty of examples of planted tanks with a zebra population; even without adding CO2.

Anyway for your zebs there is no problem; they are quit easy fish. Sufficient water exchanges and a mix of food is the way to success.

Greetz, Zeno
greenneedle

Post by greenneedle »

Nice one. Thats just what I wanted to hear :)
John

Post by John »

Welcome greenneedle :)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]