The Fish Room (Sump Filters)

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

CHeers Matrix99

Good to see you back. I hadn't thought of that with the carbon....looks like it will be left out of the sump then. Now all I have to do is find the time to finnish the set-up :?

rob :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Any news on how it's progressing Rob, I'm watching this one closely as I've always fancied a 3 tier tank set up. You know how it is, you see them all the time in the LFSs and you think 8) how do they do that. :D
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Rob,
I dont use a sump system myself, but I see difficulties using such a small sump.
What would happen on start up, could the sump run dry initially with such a powerful pump, until all the pipes are full?
What would happen if the pump stopped. Could it flood?
I have spoken to a few lfs who have banks of 3 like you propose and all of them have a sump the same(or larger) capacity as one of the tanks,at the bottom.
You could even have a vegetable filter ( floating plants) in part of the larger sump if it was lit.(I use duckweed and hornwort in my zebra tank to remove some of the nitrates and have to remove loads of duckweed ,weekly as it multiplies)
Regards,
Des :lol:
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Hi Everyone :)

Rob: I'm sure you've probably finished the set up for your sump, but I thought I'd contribute my part to this thread too as it's a great project and I had a ball doing mine.

Here are a few pics of the sump I made for my 90G planted: (sorry if they're too big/too many, I tried to cut them down)

This is the drip tray where the water from the overflow in the tank enters the sump.

From the drip tray water flows through a bunch of bio balls and into the sump proper. Here's a front on view.

This is to the right of the sump. The bottom line is the pump intake, connected via a bulkhead, the top line is a return line straight to the sump so that I can turn down the flow rate without putting too much back pressure on the pump. The vertical is the return line to the tank, connected to a spray bar.

And this is the whole thing, tank and all. 8)

Val
Last edited by valhallan on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Cheers for that Val.

I have edited your post to show the photo's. If you press the [img] button before you type in the url of the photo, and then press it again once you have completed the url, it will post the pics.

Very impressive set-up, what sort of flow rate do you haveon the sump?

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I am really wanting an overflow/sump system for the zebra tank, I think.
They are going to outgrow the 20G in no time.
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Thanks Rob,

I was using the [ i m g ] [ / i m g ] tags, and when that didn't work I also tried using the button like you described, but I still couldn't see the pictures. I still can't see them now. Are they showing for you guys?

That sump is running between 600-700gph, so not really terribly high flow rate, and I do tend to back it off as the plants get high enough to hit the stream from the spray bar.

Val
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Val

The pictures are showing ok at this end. Let me know if you are still having problems.

ANyone else having problems seeing the pics?

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I see them no worries. With IE6, Fire Fox and even the crappy AOL browser.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

And I do not see them..... with IE6 - weird :lol:

Getting the adress from the pictures properties shows them in a new browser window, so no big deal.
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

I still can't see them with IE6. When I just had the url's linked in my post, they just sent me back to the thread when I clicked on them. Most strange...

Val
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

testing testing one two three

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

weirdness :P

I see my male, but not the other picture, and they're linked the same way
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

:shock: Now I can only see the bottom one. :shock:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

I can only see the bottom one too :?