Proper conditioning

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Proper conditioning

Post by LyreTail »

I need to run tests on my water still, but my normal GH and KH readings in the summer time get to about 3 deg GH and 3 deg KH. In the winter time they are less than 1 deg KH and GH.

Right now I am increasing temperature - it is at 82 deg F -28 deg C currently

Tank is 4 foot x 1 foot x 1 foot - 120 x 30 x 30 cm with a glass top to retain heat 40 US gal / 150 liter. 250 watt submersible heater.

Low light plants to help suck up nitrate as well as ammonia

Flow rate is 270 GPH / 1020 liters per hour which seems pretty fast. Provided by an Aqua Clear 402 power head on a river tank PVC filter design with two sponges that can easily be cleaned ( I will rotate cleaning every other week.)

Occupants - 5 zebra plecos - one male for sure the rest probably female

Slate Breeding caves made with smooth interiors - I have 4 in the tank now all facing the front for my visibility. 2 caves 4 cm wide and 2 caves 3.5 cm wide -I made 8 more caves that are not in the tank all 3.5 cm wide with same height and length dimensions - 2.5 cm and 11 cm.

The rest of decor consists of a thin layer of black volcanic sand and a large piece of bog wood that is planted with Java Fern and African water fern. I also have a single Anubius plant in there.

I turn of power head for 2 hours after lights out to feed. Plecos seem active at this point and go looking for food. They seem to hide more with the flow rate. They seem to really like my Brine Shrimp Flakes, and ignore many other foods I try to feed them

Any More suggestions for conditioning them or for a more conducive setup?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I feed mine Carnivore pellets and they beefed up pretty nicely.....I just bought a 1lb bag of K. Korotev "Famous Recipe" so Im trying that as well.....sometimes i actually feed them at 5 am before the lights go on at 8am and then again at 8pm right when the lights go out.....and the food is always pretty much gone!!!
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

I was feeding carnivore pellets every other day also - the little brown ones for catfish, but I ran out recently and need to get some more