Second spawn

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Artic circle
Groupie

Second spawn

Post by Artic circle »

Hi! Today i found my second zebra spawn, there is 10 eggs in the cave :) unfortunatly the male eat almost all eggs last time so i have decided to take eggs safe, hope that all goes well.

Pasi
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Good Luck ;)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi artic!

Are you sure he ate the eggs? Maybe he ate the unfertilized eggs, as he's supposed to? If it was the first spawn, chanses are there only was a few good eggs.

I found it very hard to articially hatch Zebra eggs. They clump together, and really need a dad to separate them as they hatch. It's best to wait until they're hatched, then take the wrigglers - usually that works good, and some people feel they get a higher survival rate if they do too.

Anyways, you have the eggs now, so better make the best out of it hey :D I found keeping snails in the fry trap helped a lot. They keep the eggs clean, and eat any dead materia.

Here's what happened to me when I panicked and took the eggs too early: http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=snail

I've now used them with Angel eggs as well, and had no problems with mouldy eggs at all.

Remember to keep an airstone hovering just above the egg clutch, to keep the water flowing over the eggs at all times.

Good luck and congrats! :D
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Hi McEve!

Yes i'm 100% sure that the male ate the eggs but i'm not sure if they was fertilized or not :(

Anyway, i have now removed the eggs and they are in the fry tap. Airstone is in the top of the clutch and it moves the water fine. I have raised my L-66 youngsters also articially and they have survived fine, hope that it will go fine with the zebra eggs too :)

Eggs are not in a clump, i mean that there is no eggs under other eggs... hope that you understand what i mean, sorry my english :oops:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well Done Arctic. :D

I hope the eggs make it, like you said you managed to artificially hatch your L66 spawn recently so hopefully it will be the same for the zebras.

Good luck.

Adam
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Sounds like you got everything under control artic :D

Good luck, and don't forget the pictures!
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Thanks Adam! :) yes i will post the pictures, eggs looks now fine, they have developed since yesterday. In the eggs can see live now :)

I have now two airstones in the fry trap and the eggs moves slowly on the fry trap bottom.

Pasi
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Arctic

Congratulations! The eggs should be just fine, so long as you keep them well aereated, and the water quality good.

As McEve said, there can sometimes be problems with the fry escaping from a tight clump of eggs, bu tif they are not overlapping (ontop of ech other), they should be just fine. Keep an eye on them when they are hatching. Watch that they do not get stuck in their shells, as I have lost a few this way. If they do get stuck it is possible to free them byt VERY GENTLY rubbing the egg between your forefinger and thumb. I would only suggest thios as a last resort however.

If they are two days old right now I would say to start watching on sunday!!!!!

CHeers and good luck

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Thanks Rob!

Eggs are fine, still can see live in the eggs (all 10). Eggs moves slowly on the bottom so i think that they will survive.

I think that this is my lucky week, i have now another female and that same male in the cave :D If everything goes well this is second spawn at this week.

I have taken pictures last night so i will post them in the evening.

Pasi
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Eggs of my second spawn :)
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Congrats, I love seeing them as they develop, keep the pictures coming
Adam

Post by Adam »

Looking good Arctic. :D

I will probably have to do the same with my male next time. He is a terrible dad he either eats the spawn or kicks the fry out of the cave. :x
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

I have two males at the same tank but females want to spawn with the alfa male and it looks at they want to spawn at the same time now, so i have to get eggs safe. There is also another reaseon why i take eggs safe, i'm so curious that i have flashlight on all of time :roll: I think that is the problem at the male eats eggs..

Now when i have already 10 eggs in the fry trap i haven't distribuded them, but i think that i will take their 3 spawn also safe.

I'll have to say also that i was worried about what the male thinks becouse i take eggs away, but now that same male has new female in that same cave, so my worries are gone :)

Pasi
Last edited by Artic circle on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I learnt my lesson with using the flash light too much on my first spawn, the male ate all the eggs and I'm sure it was because I spooked him. :roll: I know when he has eggs now from his behaviour and I only look when they are due to hatch and then only very quickly but he still eats his spawn. :x

Keep us posted on how you get on, I will probably have to do the same soon as too many eggs are getting eaten.

Thanks.

Adam
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Adam, i will post progress. I know also how it feels that almost all eggs will been eaten :( that is my reason to try them born articially.

When that day comes that i have much experience and many saved youngsters i will try to let eggs alone with a male.

Pasi