tank falling apart???

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

du ma
Obsessed!!

tank falling apart???

Post by du ma »

look here http://www.simplydiscus.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=43802

i have the same thing happening to my 55gallon tank. is it falling apart?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I have noticed rubber parts in my filters get a white residue on them. It's fairly easy to remove, white and a bit sticky to touch. Maybe it's this kind of coating that is showing on the picture? If it is then it must mean that there's a gap, so - yes, it looks to me as though the silikon is indeed loosing it's grip.

I've never seen this on a tank myself, so I can only go by what it looks like on the picture.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Hey Du Ma
Looks like its going to start to leak soon!!! I had the same problem with mine...and I left it alone for about two months and one night I heard my filter outlet louder than normal and I checked it out and the water was slowly leaking out!!!! It was a rough night!!!!! But luckly I caught it!!!!!
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

so jerms, did you reseal the seams? what did you do with that tank?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Yeah I drained it, cleaned it out and left it in the sun for about a day and made sure everything was dry and I resealed the inside by just adding silicone to the inside only and going over it to smooth it out with my finger.....Its been up and running for about 5 months now!! And no sign of leaks!

If you have time and want to do a "professional" job I was told to cut that glass panel out with a flush saw ( Home Depot, pretty cheap) and take off the silicone from the adjoining pieces. After you clean it just silicone that piece back again!

I decided not too do all that work and just siliconed over the old one and I think I did two passes with the silicone....
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

thanks for the help jerms, ill prabably just remove the old silicone and reseal it. its too troublesome to take it apart
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Duma,

My effects tank started leaking after I moved house last year. I didn't set it up immediately again but left it empty for a while, I'm not sure if this caused it to leak. :? When I did eventually fill it up I found that it had sprung a leak. I resealed the tank by just going over the old silicone and it looks like it has the beggings of a leak again. :roll: I would remove as much of the old silicone as possible and then reseal it.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I've resealed quite a few tanks when I was the service rep for a big company here in the US. A few pointers would be to use 2 razor blades, one to cut out the silicone and scripe off all that you can possibly get off. Then rub with rubbing alcohol, then use the new razor blade and clean towels to scrub the area until you feel no residue whatsoever. Silicone will not bond to silicone. If you get the glass clean enough, there's no worry about getting the silicone out from between the panes, as it's never going to be exposed to water again anyway.

Hope that helps ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]