Thought you might want to see this

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Thought you might want to see this

Post by McEve »

There's Norwegian breeder that's cleaning out his tank once every 6 month to catch all the fry, and give the tank a thorough clean.

You can see his last catch here:

http://www.storheim.biz/gallery/upload/index.php

choose "Main menu - Mine fisker - L46"

Apparently this is what he finds every time he cleans his tank, enough to make anybody green with envy :lol:
jeroentje
Obsessed!!

Post by jeroentje »

that's a lot of zebra's he have there :shock:

lucky man I think :lol:
Kimbo
Forum Follower

Post by Kimbo »

lol looks like hes got more zebs there then the whole of Aus lol! :lol:
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Thats really cool!!!!!!!!!
One day............PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Cool Find Mceve!!!!
Somebody should email him and ask for his secret
:twisted:
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Wow how busy are his zebs, Would love to know more info on his set-up and breeding techniques.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

He will write an article about his Zebra keeping and put it up on the web site - as soon as he finds the time :)
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

McEve,

Nice to see so many at one time.!!! :)
Do you know ( or can you find out)how many adults he has in his tank and how many are breeding?.
There apears to be about 50 youngsters , in what looks like 4 different sizes. Not unusual to have about 12 or 13 in each clutch.

Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi Des,

He's got 7 adults, the tank is a 160L (35 UK gallon). The fry is ranging from 14 days to 4-5 months old.

He's getting about one spawn every month :) He lives in a city where there's several Zebra breeders, - it's got to be something in the water up there.... :P
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,

Thanks for the info.
Any info on how many of those 7 are males versus females?
I think you should see if you can bottle some of that special water !!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I don't know how many he's got of each, but he's got two males spawning in the same tank :shock: He says they are more or less both constantly guarding eggs.

When he did the 6 monthly cleanup this time, he decided to change the layout of the tank, as he wanted to give them a rest. Apparently it didn't work, it only took a few days before one of the males was guarding eggs again.

I've spoken to him about this site so he's aware that I've introduced his group to you all. He says he's been planning to join, but so far haven't had the time. Hopefully he'll stop by one day so that he can give away all his secrets to the rest of us :D

Bottling that water seems like a very good idea :lol:
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Considering Corydoras breeders use water from a tank with recently spawned fish to stimulate other corys to spawn, maybe Des has hit on a very good experiment? :idea: :wink:

Isn't it funny to think so many people are just waiting for the tiny patter of zebra fins, yet this chap is trying to stop his from breeding for a while! Fish keeping is a very strange hobby at times! :wink:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I used the water from my spawning Apistos tank to put in the Zebra tank, but it doesn't seem to have sparked any interest... yet. The Apistos keep spawning though, so I will keep doing hormone saturated water transplants, just in case! :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's one heap of zebras. :D Hopefully one day my lot will get their act together. It would be nice to know what techniques he uses, lets hope he finds the time to join the forum.
FrodeSt

Breeding info

Post by FrodeSt »

Hi
I am the lucky owner of this zebra breeding group.

I bought them for roughly 2 years ago. When I bought them my plan was to breed them, but I believed they was not old enough. So I placed them in a 160l tank with a lot of slater and a few “breeding“ caves and feed them heavily .

After three months I saw one of the larger L-46 behaved “strange”. When I saw in to the cave I saw him guarding fry! Since that day he has “produced” one hatch each month.
After a year one of the other males also start to breed. He has also one hatch each month. That means that this group gives me 15-20 fry each month.
I have tried to give them a break from breeding, but what ever I try they just continue to hatch.

I believe that one of the reasons for my success with this group is that I don’t mess so much with this tank. I change water each 2-3 week, feed them twice a day and I never change any thing in aquarium. I only change the setup each 6 months, that’s when I catching fry.

I have never removed egg/fry from the males. I let the fry be in the breeding tank. I remove them when they are too many or they start arguing with the parents about territory.

Info about the breeding aquarium:
160l (100*40*40)
Eheim 2228
Ph 6,5-7
Kh 1-2
Temperature 28-30°C
3 males , 3 females and 1 insecure ( maybe a male).
2 active males and 3 active females.
Feed them with my home made frozen food, Tetra Tabi Min and Tetra Discus bits (soaked).

My frozen food contain black and white bloodworms, artemia, beef heart, fish meat,spirulina, pea, spinach and garlic.

Frode
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Thats a great setup!!!! I also feed mine twice aday ....maybe thats the secret....have them well conditioned??? So how do you rest the males??? Are you worried that they might starve??? My male is in the cave again just after rearing some eggs...I havent seen him eat any??? Should I be worried???