Powerhead question

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Powerhead question

Post by Mindy »

At the moment, my zebra tank only has an Eheim 2224 Professional filter with the water returning via a spray bar above the surface of the water to try and get as much oxygen in as possible. I've tested the oxygen and it's OK.

I was wondering if it was advantageous or better to also run a Powerhead, and if so, can someone suggest what size. I've had these ones suggested
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod864.htm

But I don't know if this is too powerful or too small or what. 476 lph. Sounds a lot to me, but then I really don't know what I'm looking at here.

My tank is 30" and holds roughly 75litres of water.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I have a 900 Lph , and an Eheim 2224, in a 120 liter so I think that should be fine Mindy :)
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Mindy,

Why do you believe you need a powerhead in addition to your Eheim ?.
Your fish are happy, eating well , O2 is ok,etc etc .You might find that you have too much turbulence , if you add a powerhead,causing the food to be suspended/swirling in the water, rather than settling and allowing the zebras a chance to eat......... :(
If you want a venturi, you can add one to the output of your Eheim.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I wasn't sure if I needed one or not, so I thought I'd ask. A lot of people on here seem to use them so I've been wondering about it. But if it's fine, then I'm happy to keep it as it is. :wink: