Please Help... Have You Seen Or Treated This Before???

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Please Help... Have You Seen Or Treated This Before???

Post by GlockFu »

I just noticed this in one of my tanks. I've seen this before and always throught it was due to fighting since it is right where the spines are and it doesn't seem contageous. I have seen this a couple of times in the past and when it happens, it only happens to one fish while all others are fine which is also why I thought it was due to fighting and isn't contageous.

My HUGE problem is that I have NEVER been able to save the poor Zebra when ever I have seen this. Once it looks like this, they have died :cry: . The way I tried to treat this in the past which has been completely unsucessful is with Melafix since I thought it was a fungus. This never worked so I'm not trying it again. I just added a dose of Metronidazole in desperation. PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE OR KNOW WHAT TO DO

John

Re: Please Help... Have You Seen Or Treated This Before???

Post by John »

I would go for a treatment of Binox made by jungle labs.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It sure looks like fungus. I would suggest treating that with Maroxy by Mardel. However, fungus is often a secondary symptom of a more serious underlying problem. While it could be injury related, it is often likely the result of a bacterial infection or even parasites. If you want to try a two pronged approach at the outset, I would go with an antibiotic combined with the Maroxy. You could try dosing Maracyn which is basically Erythromycin. I have used these two medications in combination before and they work fine together. Keep an eye on your tank params as antibiotics can kill off some of the good bacteria that keeps our tanks cycled. If possible use a hospital tank to treat the fish. Smaller tanks are easier to manage and cheaper to medicate.

The problem is that you would be guessing to the extent that EM is most effective against gram-positive bacteria. Other antibiotics will work better against gram negative bacteria. At the very least I would use the Maroxy and see how it goes. Results re the fungus should be pretty quick.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Thanks for the advice John and TwoTankAdmin.

Are these meds that both of you have advised able to be mixed with metronidazole? I was desperate to try something last night as it has doubled in size in one day so I put about 400mg/10 gal in there last night.

John... I dont know if they sell Binox where I am, I have never heard of it. I'm in the US but I'll ask my local fish store about it.

TwoTankAdmin... I know I can get Maroxy and Maracyn but since I already put the metronidazole in there, can these be mixed with it? I am about 80% sure that I tried Maracyn (although I might have used it with the Melefix) before but that also didn't work if I did. Also, would you still suggest both as the metronidazole has some antibiotic properties?

I just checked the affected Zebra and the fluffy white thing on his face seems to have gotten slight larger but looser over night. What I mean by looser as it doesn't look as compact. Does this mean anything?
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

I have found the culprit! :evil: .... sort of. Its worms! After the treatment of Metro last night the little creatures look like they are coming out. I took the picture below this morning about 2 hours ago. Does this help with the which medication questions? Should I continue with the Metro? If so, for how long, what regimine and is there another medication I should combine it with?

Thanks!
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Wow I have never seen this before, keep us updated on how you get on, hope it gets fixed soon
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

I'm going to the store to get some Maroxy right now. Please let me know ASAP if it is a bad idea to mix this with the Metronidazole. When I get back I will be dosing him with it as I know if I leave him alone he won't make it.
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

I talked to a fish store owner around here who really knows his stuff and he said that I can use both the Maroxy and Metro but to use them several hours apart. Basically just don't dose them at the same time.

I just performed "surgery"based on his recomendations as well. I took him out, pulled off all the white fluffy stuff, then I took a Q tip to pat the area dry as much as I could. Then I used another Q tip with Hydrogen Peroxide on it and applied it to the affected area. Lastly I applied a layer of vaseline over it to seal off the area.

I just now put him back into the tank and dosed it with the Maroxy, I guess it's just a waiting game now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
jczz1232
Groupie

Post by jczz1232 »

how is he doing? Hope things went well.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

If the metro is not killing the worms then I would look to get flubendazole. You can find this at http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ Scroll down for it.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

:cry: He didn't make it. GRRRRRR!!! I think taking him out and doing all that stuff to him might have been too tramatic. If it ever happens again, I think I'll try the same treatment but without taking him out.

Thanks for everyones help.