Trapping

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
LuckyGuppy
Forum Follower

Trapping

Post by LuckyGuppy »

Hi All,

So, I got my 10 WC (unsexed) group in November and added a proven group of 5 (4 females and 1 male) from TwinSpots_Goby towards the end of November. On December 21st, I noticed the first trapping, but the second after I noticed it, they both left the cave. I did a big water change, as I was planning on doing before I left anyway. I hadn't changed the water or topped off in 3 weeks. I left to go home for xmas break later that day and just came back today. Of course, all over break I asked my bf to check the caves, because they must be in the mood. He checked the caves, he said, and didn't see anything. So, when I come home today, I notice that the same cave has a trapping. "Oooooh, I didn't check that cave..." Ugh....good for nothing. Anywho, I'm ecstatic that I have a trapping, but it sucks that I don't know how long it's been going on. The female still seems lively as her tail is flicking and she still seems like she's trying to escape. The male is losing color around one of his odontodes apparently he keeps getting smacked there by her tail fin. Anywho, she's not deep in the cave, yet, but I'm trying to sit on my hands...and no flashlights. It's so hard. I believe this to be a WC male and one of TwinGoby's females. I had posted earlier about how long people have waited for their WC's to spawn. It's only been about 5 weeks here, but I guess this doesn't really count as a pure WC spawn.

Here is some info about my tank if anyone is interested. My tank houses 15 adult zebs, it's 125 gallons and 6-feet long. There are only 5 slate rectangular caves in 5 different territories. I have the temperature at about 86F. I don't do anything special with the water. No RO Right or anything. I just condition tap water. I didn't change the water for 3 weeks before I saw the first trapping. I don't use live foods or frozen foods, yet. I use a variety of Ken's sticks and wafers. The tank is in the basement and I don't have any lights on inside of it. It is lit by the ambient light of my other tanks. So, the tank remains pretty dark. I don't plan to remove the fry if I get some. I just kinda plan to let nature take its course in this tank and I'm hoping that my fish are good parents.
LuckyGuppy
Forum Follower

Re: Trapping

Post by LuckyGuppy »

Well, they have both left the cave. I guess they are just practicing for right now. I will keep you all posted on whether they decide to try again.
LuckyGuppy
Forum Follower

Post by LuckyGuppy »

And this morning....they're back in there together again. At least this time I know when it started.
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

i hope you'll have eggs soon :>

good luck!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It is not uncommon that they make one or two practice attemps and then suddenly there are eggs.

"Patience, Grasshopper."
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
LuckyGuppy
Forum Follower

Post by LuckyGuppy »

Well, I think I was wrong all along and that it's actually a female trying to do the trapping all along. I think there's just a male lying in the cave who's just not ready to be tied down quite yet. What I'm observing is her trying to force her way into the cave and him just laying there, not doing much of anything. I even saw her displaying some behaviors that matched up with the courtship video. I figure it's a "she" and not a "he" because the other fish (the suspected male) is showing absolutely no aggression towards her around his cave or pushing her way inside. All other times my males don't let another male anywhere near their caves. And this makes sense because I didn't recognize the tail pattern of the trapper as one of my established males. So, I think it's one of Goby's females trying to get in to lay her eggs. I don't know why she can't just go to one of the other 3 males in caves.