Belo Monte Dam

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

Jo
Obsessed!!

Belo Monte Dam

Post by Jo »

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Re: Belo Monte Dam

Post by Rob »

Hi Jo

Yes, it is absolutely shocking that this is being allowed to happen. For years the Dam has been refused planning due to it's inefficiency and environmental impact. I work int eh pipelien industry and it is controlled throughout the world to have as minimal impact as humanly possible. This is goign ahead purely as a political agenda (in my opinion), and shoudl never have been given the green light. The same stry has been recycled several times over the past few years but it never seems to halt the dams progress.

:(
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

A link to a video telling you what the Brazilian goverment has planned for the Amazon Basin; http://www.internationalrivers.org/en/node/5756

60 Dams over the next twenty years all over the Amazon Basin :shock:
BRIAN09
Groupie

Post by BRIAN09 »

On January 26, 2011, the environmental license for the construction of the dam was officially emited, authorizing Norte Energia to start building it.

Critics currently oppose construction of the dam complex because of concerns over social and environmental impacts, economic inviability, and inefficiency in electricity generation, as well as the displacement of local people. "The government has signed a death warrant for the Xingu river and condemned thousands of residents to expulsion," according to local Indian leaders.

When will ppl ever learn :(