Talk about regular

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
TwoTankAmin

Talk about regular

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Well the hiatus for the zebras has ended. I am a bit late to post, but the alpha male spawned about a 7-10 days ago. It took me about 4-5 days to actually have visual confirmation- all I could tell was he acted as if he was on eggs. Two days ago I finally spotted a bouncing egg and was able to confirm things.

I had made one change in my setup recently- I stopped using a tank light except for when doing water change and tank cleaning. So I was shining a flashlight into the cave 3-4 times a day looking for proof of spawning. Once I confirmed the spawn the shining was mostly curtailed. However, last night after feeding I decided to have a look. To my surprise dad was just outside the cave and I feared the worst. I was relieved to see the clumps of wigglers at the left and right rear of the cave. Looked to be 12-15. Of course dad was none to pleased by my intrusion and quickly dashed back in to protect the kids.

Since I never ever pull eggs nor wigglers to traps, this was indeed a rare treat to get such a good look at the bouncing eggs with tiny tails :lol:

The thing is this group of breeders has been almost regular in their spawning habits for close to 4 years. Last August/Sept. when they went on hiatus after their normal 7+ month spawning cycle, I posted that if past performance was an indication, then they should resume spawning in the mid Jan. to mid Feb time frame. They did not let me down which makes me wonder where they have their calender hidden?
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Congrats on the spawn and good to hear they are sticking to their calendar :)
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Hopefully more successful spawns to come TTA. :)