what meds would be suitable for a bacterial infection

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

bunnyrabbit

what meds would be suitable for a bacterial infection

Post by bunnyrabbit »

I have a colony of zebras including fry. Some of the adults are showing redness which I don't believe to be due to territorial disputes. Actually they look like measles, it is not on all the zebras but on a few. My Ph is around 6.4, Temp is 85F, and Nitrites are 0. They were breeding prior to this outbreak and I have lost probably 7 of 10 fry but not due to the "infection" as I don't see any redness on them. I am doing daily 20% water changes currently, but this doesn't seem to be helping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Peter
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Interpet No 9 can be bought from most pet shops but I would be inclined to pop into your local vets and ask for a prescribed treatment
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
John

Post by John »

Binox from Jungle labs might be the answer, i have good experience with this product on hypancistrus spec.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Before you start treating you should really make an effort to find out what the problem is. Once you start treating you can't just chop and change medication. I know that to my cost when I treated a dennison barb for what I thought was a fungus and it wasn't and he ended up being a week late getting the correct treatment while the other was cleared out of the tank and a 48 hour gap given. Unfortunately he didn't survive. If you really want to treat without knowing exactly what it is then go for something broad ESHA 2000.

With fish as valuable as Zebras I'd even be tempted to see a vet.
bunnyrabbit

meds

Post by bunnyrabbit »

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, we can't get Esha 200 or Binox here. I'm going to try tetracycline by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Everything was going quite well till about a month ago. And the zebras had breed twice till I noticed something amiss so I don't know what I could have done differently. I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well as I was not planning on having any spawns at all as I only had them for about 2 months. Now I hope the fry will survive the treatment.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

It would be helpful to put your location in your profile then anybody local to you may be able to give specific advice for what is available in your area.

I think tetracycline will kill the bacteria in your filter so you may want to remove some of your filter media to reseed another filter to use when the treatment is over. Don't forget to keep a close eye on your water stats.
bunnyrabbit

meds

Post by bunnyrabbit »

Hi Angela
Thanks for the feedback I will keep an eye on my water parameters and re "seed" my tank after i finish medicating. Also, updated my profile.
Peter
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Hope the treatment works, good luck :)
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Re: meds

Post by GrubbyGirl »

bunnyrabbit wrote:Hi Angela
Thanks for the feedback I will keep an eye on my water parameters and re "seed" my tank after i finish medicating. Also, updated my profile.
Peter
Good luck, I hope they all get better soon
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

any updates please?