Vacuuming

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Vacuuming

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Can I ask what do others use to vacuum up left over food each day?

Angela
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It depends on what is in the tank. For fry I dont want to suck up I have a homemade syphon which uses airline tubing with similar sized rigid tube on the end. For the breeder and growouts for larger ones I use hoses that are much bigger diameter.

A lot of it is made easier when you figure out that any given flow pattern will result in spots where stuff accumulates. Once you locate these spots vacuuming is a snap.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Duh I never thought of air line tubing! I was wondering how everyone vacuumed each day without effectively having to do a water change each day.

Has anyone tried these batter powered vacuums?
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

I generally only water change once a week with my zebra tank but use a turkey baster in between if it gets too mucky :)

You can get some battery or air pump driven syphons that put the rubbish into a sock type thingy while the water passes back into the tank which means you can get rubbish out without changing the water :wink:
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
I use eheim pipe with a biro body in one end and also if I don't want to do a water change and want to put back in the tank the cloth bag just slides on the end and catches the dirt.

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
zibzab

Post by zibzab »

Hi,
I've got one of these: MARINA AQUARIUM FISHTANK BATTERY POWERED GRAVEL CLEANER!
It does great job! This cleaner is one of the cheapest on ebay (£14 including postage). I hope this helps.
All the best
Thanks
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Those are great ideas, thanks......I need to do some shopping!!
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I use a biorb syphon with the end attachments removed its like a vacuum stick can fit in all the little nooks where food collects
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

I think the trick is to get the dead spot in a place that easiest to clean - now that's the challenge!