10th SPAWN

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
jerry58
Obsessed!!

10th SPAWN

Post by jerry58 »

Hi

My alpha male and female spawned last night for the 10th time this year.
I will be removing the eggs on the 4th day as I did In the 9th spawn.
This gave a better survival rate than leaving them in with the male.
I am hoping at some time they will take a longish rest period and at that point I intend to revert back to leaving the eggs and fry in with the male again and let him do his thing.

Jerry

I know first pics look similar to each other but the younger female always on the top of the cave when male in with eggs while the alpha female is in cave next to his but in a short while will chase the young female off and take her place on top of cave.
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Oooh what a lovely sight, good luck with them :)
dconnors
Groupie

Post by dconnors »

Wow, thats great! Mine have spawned twice this year but none of the fry have made it. I was wondering if you had a pic of your setup you could post up so I could see if there is something I could do differently. Also, do you leave the fry with the parents? Thanks,
Dave
drd
Groupie

Post by drd »

Congratz dude :)

This is a sight i want someday here to !
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi

Thanks for the kind repies.

dconnors
I'm sorry to hear that your fry are dieing I know how it feels and the disappointment that comes with it,as you can see from my latest threads this is my problem at the mo and I to am trying to solve it and the only way is to look back on what I have done and find the problem systematically but does not apply if hereditary.(I write a lot down as I will never remember it later date). good luck with your fry from now on.
What I do about leaving the fry in with the alpha male is also a problem,I am removing them at this point but hope to leave them with him at a later date after a longish break.
On the whole I would rather leave the fry with him as I think they do better,but if all fry dieing with him I am taking them out as there is nothing to loose and only a last resort so to speak.

Here is a pic of my tank that you wanted its been on this thread

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

I think this setup works well as I think now I have 1 male and 3 females in it and not 2 males and 2 females as I thought at the time of writing in the thread above .

Hope this helps you.

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi just to finish on a small update all fry doing well thanks again for your replies.

Jerry
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Great to have an update and see how they are doing, thanks Jerry :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

One of the mods here worked to help a friend who was breeding zebras but having a terrible time with fry dyding. We are talking a lot of dead fry. He eventtually got her some of his fry to work with and with the help of somebody trained in ichthyology they discovered the cause was a disease in the tank that the fry were unable to fight off. Medication to eliminate the problem was used.

Perhaps she will chime in on the thread with more details as I can't remember what the exact problem was nor what med they eventully used.

However, your problem may involve a different disease, it it involve one at all.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.