Feeding juvies

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

zeblover

Feeding juvies

Post by zeblover »

Hi Guy's, I've been reading up on previous posts regarding varying growth rates of everyones fry/juvies. Some of you guys are having phenomenal growth rates of up to 1.5 inches in 3 months etc!!
I've picked up some juvies appx 10 months old and their size is appx 1 inch. :(
They have been fed once per evening when the lights go out with a very small variety consisting of Hikari carnivore pellets and Sera shrimp pellets.
I wish to change their diet as I believe that it has been too restrictive and not enough variety.
What do you all reccommend for best growth rates? At their current size I am very wary of giving the wrong foods to them (I want to discontinue the shrimp pellets as I have had bloated/constipated dead 333 fry before from these).
Do any of you feed spirulina wafers etc? I'm considering getting 100% pure pharmaceutical grade from my local chemist as a supplement to the carnivorous diet that is the main staple diet. Also has anyone fed them Tetra colour granules and are these ok for some variation?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer, Zeblover.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

My fry reach 1" around 6 to 7 months, a few are a bit larger at this age, but mine are fed a minimum of 2 times a day.
Just give them plenty of water changes if you are going to feed more.
I feed spirulina flakes & microworms as alive food, I have never fed tetra colour just prima.
All fry grow at different rates, I have fry from different parents that are alot bigger fish, but the others catch up in the end.
Hopes this helps. :wink:
zeblover

Feeding juvies

Post by zeblover »

Thanks Stevie, do you culture your own worms?

Also how long do the worms stay alive in the tank - are they anything like blackworms that live for ages?
Next time I'm at the local fish shop I'll pick up some spirulina flakes as I'm sure they are easier to digest than wafers.

I'd like to ask a little more advice of you guys/gals in the UK.......what electricity supply voltage do you have over there???
I',m looking to buy a "power outage and overtemp alarm" from a UK company and they are not very helpful with the finer details. I need to know if your supply voltage is the same as Australian supply (240-250volt)?

Thanks again for your help everyone!
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Hi Zeblover, yes I culture my own worms, they just eat porridge oats that needs changing every 3 weeks and they live in the water for up to 12 hrs.
The voltage over here is indeed 240 volts, I could always deliver to you down under at your expence. :lol:
zeblover

Postage

Post by zeblover »

Thanks Stevie for the offer of postage - not sure if you are joking or serious though!? :?
Anyway the supplying company over there offers postage so it should'nt be an issue.
In Australia Zebs are so hard to get that they currently cost 500 quid (sorry, we don't have a pound symbol on the keyboard LOL) just for a juvie. So with a colony I want to know when things within my control go wrong such as power outages or heaters going haywire etc.
Call me paranoid if you will but it's my little insurance policy :lol: .