too many zebs for one tank?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
bengranger80
Groupie

too many zebs for one tank?

Post by bengranger80 »

Had my second spawn about 3 weeks ago, now the tank is overrun with baby zebs, must be about 30 in there!

I would like to keep them in the main tank, which is a 4ft by 12inch tank, but I am concerned it may be overstocked. The only thing is I dont like to disturb them and the thought of catching the fry seems an impossible task.
They all seem to be eating fine and look super healthy, so Im inclined to leave them to it, but Im concerned now I have too many fish in the tank, especially if they breed again.

Has anyone else had this issue?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

At the peak I had a breeding group of 13 adults in a 30 gal breeder tank (36x18 inch footprint). It was chocked full of cover in the form of river rocks, driftwood and assorted caves.

When I did my first fry hunt to get a count and to remove some of the offspring there were 53 fry. I had also pulled a couple of spawns in caves to a growout tank or there could have been more.

The issue is normally between the adult size fish who are mature enough to want to claim territory and to spawn, They will fight with each other but not with the fry/juvies.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.