Zebra project

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Ouscazz
Groupie

Zebra project

Post by Ouscazz »

Some photos of my Zebra project.

The juvenile 1" Zebras will arrive on saturday sept 12'th so I've prepared a small 25gal. tank for them. My idea is to keep them in this tank for about six months. In the meantime I'll prepare and aquascape a larger 75gal. tank for them. This small tank will help me keep track on the small ones and also to test if the set up is working well.

Photo of tank, just filled up with water and circulation.

Aquascaping...
Lots of hide outs, all visible from the front of the tank, with or without torch. The large root in the back of the tank is sawed off at the back = no zebras behind the root.

Opinions on my aquascaping are very welcome.
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

I like your tank! it looks you like you and I had the same idea for sloping our sand except that you used wood where I used stones. You must also be an aquascaper?
it's not in my nature to be mysterious, I just can't talk about it and I can't say why.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Nice looking tank :)
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

coralite;
Thanks a lot! Yes I put my pride in aquascaping, it's so much fun.

Joby;
Thanks man!

:)
Zinfin

Post by Zinfin »

I like how you've given them places to hide but you'll still be able to see them. Good thinking.

What's the plan for filtration, water movement, air bubbles, etc?
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Thanks Zinfin!

Filtration and circulation in this temporary 25gal (100L) tank are provided by a Fluval 304 external filter which will turn the water over +10 times per hour. The pump outlet is placed right at the surface for maximum aeriation of the water. No additional air bubbles.
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

7 zebras arrived early saturday morning.. I was quite shocked about the size of the small ones, yes SMALL ones... none were any longer than 20mm, infants so to speak.. I had some serious second thoughts about the purchase for a couple of minutes, but went through with it..

Anyhow, the infants had been travelling the whole night and I was a bit concerned about how they would react to this long journey. I also had to rethink my whole plan about the introduction, no chance they would live more than a couple of days in my 100 liter tank. Fast thinking... I placed the small ones in a floating fry trap inside the already prepared main tank. The pump outlet is directed straight towards the short side of the fry trap, making sure the water is streaming through it all the time. A couple of small pieces of bog wood is placed inside the cage, for the zebras to hide under. I think I need to keep them in the cage for 2-3 months before I introduce them to their new home.

The zebras has been in there for 78 hrs now and all of them seems to be allright. They feed when the lights are out and all food presented has been eaten every morning so far.
civicr
Obsessed!!

l

Post by civicr »

well done i think you did the right thing with the fry trap and puting them into a established mature tank,

hope to get pics soon best of luck
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
3x zeb fry 2days old 11/09/08
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Glad they arrived safely as they were so young :?

Hope they can grow nice and big and go into the main tank soon :)
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

I think they will be ok. I just have to be extremely careful...

The first picky..

Zinfin

Post by Zinfin »

They do look small. I'm curious. How big did they tell you they would be? Did you order them from outside of the country?
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

I was told they were supposed to be 20 mm and in my imagination that would probably be 20-25 mm. In fact they are actually no more than 15-18 mm. That's about 4 weeks difference in growth... IMO frys that small shouldn't be moved at all and I would not have ordered them if I knew they were this tiny, but now they are here and my mission is to do all I can to make them grow strong. My zebs are captive bred in Sweden.

Well, well... they do feed well. Yesterday evening when I put out the light I gave them lots of food. And they had eaten it all when I checked on them this morning.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Good grief they do look tiny :o

Great to hear they like their food though :)
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Update;

Didn't like the fry trap I used, so I converted a small pet box into a zeb fry trap..

Top view. Water is been led from the filter/pump outlet straight into the trap via 2 air hoses.

Front view.

Baby Zebs sure like the streaming water from the hose..
Image[/
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Great fry trap :D