7th SPAWN

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
jerry58
Obsessed!!

7th SPAWN

Post by jerry58 »

Hi he is at it again. :D

After a break of a month gap he is sitting on his 7th spawn in the pic the alpha female has only left the cave about an hour as I had checked the cave just before.
I am not sure what will happen this time because the 6th spawn was not that good all fry had hatched 4 of which was alive and to this day doing very well but something went wrong 11 other fry were born and all kicked out the cave as well but dead ,it looked like they were intact but they had a pinkie red line (blood)between the egg and the fry like as if they were ruptured.

Anybody had this before or know why?.

Hoping it does not happen this time! will see how it goes,keep you updated. here is a pic.

I have added this the eggs look older than just spawned 2 to 3 days???
she was in the cave on the 31st of July but out in the morn took pic but did not show eggs.
Are the eggs older ??
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Well done Jerry, or should I say well done mum & dad zebs?
I had a spawn were the eggs hatched in just 3 days, they normally take 5-7 days, I was amazed.
I can't comment on your eggs, I have had dead very small deformed fry before a couple of years ago, but this has cleared up know.
Well done anyway, hope it continues a while longer. :wink:
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Congratulations on the spawn, hope all goes well this time :D
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Just an update the spawn turned out the much the same as last time 12 dead fry but 5 survived which I decided to removed fry from the cave and put in the breeding trap and doing ok,only time will tell .
I think 7 spawns in 8 months is a bit much to keep up with they are a good group and have given me hardly any trouble.
Will see how it goes from now on.

Big THANKS Stevie.K and Joby

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Sorry to hear you lost some again :( but good to hear there are 5 survivors :)

Its strange that you are only having problems now after several normal spawnings :?
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Joby

Thanks.
Funny you should say why are spawns going a bit wrong at the moment.
There are a couple or more things I think it could be.

1.After the 5th spawn he had so many fry from previous spawns I decided to remove them all as he kicked out a lot off the eggs but were ok in the end,but he did very well with them in the cave.

2.He spawned in another cave for the 6th spawn may need time to get back to normal.

3. Never seen it happen before.Spawns 6 and 7 the other younger,larger female has taken a very persistent and keen interest in getting in the alpha males cave when he has eggs a day or so away from hatching he has to defend from the front of the cave I have watch it happen!.
I might wait till next spawn comes(if it does)and remove her to another tank till it has passed.

Can't think of much more I can do but wait and see.
Very happy with the 5 surviving fry doing well looking good at the mo.

Jerry :D
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Oh dear naughty little female :lol:

Is it worth removing dad and cave with eggs to another tank so he can tend to them in peace? just a thought as I've heard others do it. I've not been lucky enough to breed these beauties yet as mine aren't old enough so am just thinking out loud :?

I hope he goes back to normal spawning for you soon and these 5 continue to flourish :)
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Thanks Joby
Will keep in mind to remove him and the cave maybe next time thats another option to consider.

Jerry