trappings

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
bengranger80
Groupie

trappings

Post by bengranger80 »

Hi everyone,
Things are hotting up!

I have had a 3 day trapping, and went to look today and now there is only 1 zeb in the cave, he is deep at the back of the cave, but can't see any eggs, but I can't really get a good view as the cave is at a difficult angle, can't see any eggs.

Is the male good at hiding a clutch or should you easily be able to see eggs?

When i shine a torch in he moves as if he is hiding something, but this could be me being hopeful!
I don't know what to do next, as I dont know whether to take the cave out and have a closer look to see if there is any eggs or move it into a better position, or just leave alone.
I am worried that maybe he will kick out the eggs (if there is any) and they will get lost in the tank, and ill never know if there was anything in there.
At least I am getting some excitement at last!
I think that the low pressure we have had recently has contributed to this activity.

Many thanks for your help everyone

Ben
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Sounds very promising, if your male is at the back off the cave he is highly likely to be on eggs.
Don't worry about eggs getting kicked out, it may not happen.
Just make sure you have a fry trap just in case.
Just leave him to it & avoid too much shining in the cave.
Well done :wav:
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

They are great at covering up/protecting eggs. I often have no proof of a spawn until I can actually see the movement of wigglers which are much easier to spot than eggs.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
bengranger80
Groupie

Eggs!! Eggs! Shrimp Attack

Post by bengranger80 »

Hi Everyone,
I definitely have some eggs and a devoting father! He is at the back of the cave and every now and then i catch a glimpse of some yellow balls around his snout
The male is not one of my biggest ones, maybe ony 6cm, but he sure is trying his best.
The eggs have been there about 5 days now, so hopefully looking forward to some fry, unless they are infertile.

The only thing concerning me at this time is the cherry shrimp that are surrounding his cave. There is even a small one inside the cave.

There are some shrimp outside his cave feasting on an object that looks like an egg to me, but its hard to tell as they have covered it.

Does anyone else keep shrimp in with their zebs?

Is it possible that they could ambush a baby zeb, or is this just a bad egg that they are scavanging on.
Hopefully the baby zebs can protect themselves against the cherry shrimp attack?

Fingers crossed for a batch of fry!!!

Gotta love them Zebboes!!! :lol: :lol: :cry: