Peckoltia sp. - New Catfish.

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Peckoltia sp. - New Catfish.

Post by Andrew C »

I was browsing fish from the Amazon basin and noticed a striking catfish called Peckolita Sp.
It is the first one on a list of various cat fishes here and it says it is new found catfish.

Might be wrong about it being new, but it certainly is striking :wink:
There are even Parasitic Catfish :shock:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Wow... that "new" one is just beautiful!

I have heard of the parasitic catfish. Their sense of smell is very acute and they pick up on ammonia trails that fish produce and zoom in for a meal. It is said that you should never have a wee in the water because they detect the ammonia stream and swim right up your, well... you know... :shock: At which point they stick out their barbels so they stay put.

Such a little fish... so much pain... :?
Adam

Post by Adam »

That certainly is one nice looking Plec, very striking pattern difference between the head and body.

Here's some more info on that parasitic cat fish, the Candiru

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/animals1/c ... ndiru.html

All I can say is :shock: .
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Yes... a hundred :shock: 's. I just read that article. My version (above) was censored for the sake of the faint hearted. :lol: I remember seeing them on some programme about South America. They showed a man in the river suddenly screaming and, well... I don't need to relive that. It was horrible. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Adam

Post by Adam »

I remember reading about the Cadiru a while back. Apparently you're quite safe as long as you don't take a pee while swimming/bathing. They can mistaken the ammonia in urine for the ammonia being excreted from the gills of a breathing fish. One last thought women are just as vulnerable to being attacked if not more so, I'll say no more :shock: :shock: .