Keeping L134 living with Zebras..

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

unungy
Groupie

Keeping L134 living with Zebras..

Post by unungy »

Can these 2 species live together without any problems?

Please advise..
Last edited by unungy on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asago
Forum Follower

Post by Asago »

Not a good idea, imo... they would out compete the zebs for food.
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Thank you very much I was worried about my decision.
I'll get them out of there.

Can they have tank mates? does anyone know....
If yes what would be..

Saul
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

I have a colony of 15 zebs, mostly juveniles, only 3 adults, in a 40 gal breeder tank. I keep 8 sterbai cories and 10-12 pygmy cories in with them, and they are all doing fine. They have been together since last fall. I know there are others that also keep sterbais with zebras and have no problems. Good luck.
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Thank you I have to look into it.

I'm not too sure what those are... and what to feed etc. I'll read about it.

I was trying to get the L134 out of the zebra's tank but oh man that was a challenge. I did noticed that at feeding time they will push the zebra's around a bit.

I got one out thought one more to go. Those little buggers ran round let me tell you.

:lol:
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

Both those fish are catfish. Sterbai stay mainly on the bottom, while the pygmies roam around a little bit more. Try 2 nets. Makes things a lot easier ! Good luck.

William H. Danforth
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Cories will be fine woth zebs I keep them in my tanks also but L134 are far more aggressive than L046 more aggressive feeders, and aggressive to each other when in breeding mode even the females will fight one another
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Thank you guys I'm very interested now I'll do some reading tonight and will try to find out more about those species.

My plan is to remove the other L134 and leave the zebras alone. Though I'm looking for something to help eat the remain left overs from the zebras.

Please don't get me wrong by saying this I dont over feed, but there are always left overs and in the tank I get algae that I don't want to be cleaning to avoid moving the zebras and getting them stressed etc.

Would they also eat algae and left overs too? I read that they're very peaceful

Saul
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

I don't think any of the catfish will eat algae, although the sterbai will snack on a Hikari algae wafer that I drop in once or twice a week. I have never had any algae in my zebra tank, and it has been set up since August. Zebras like low light or less light, so I only run the light that came with my tank 7 or 8 hours a day. At first, I put a blue plastic light tube over the light, but then I added live anubias plants for some green, so now I run the regular light. The rest of the time the tank is dark, or under the blue moonlight that I also run 4 or 5 hours a day. My tank is in a very dark room, basement level, so there is very little other light. I added the catfish because the tank is bare bottom, and I didn't like looking at the excess food, no matter how little, also. They do a great job, as they are constantly grazing !

William H. Danforth
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Dude you're the man...mine its also bare bottom and it bothers me a little to see my tank with left over and small zebra pooh!!.

My tank is also in my garage and nobody goes there during the day or night and even then the timer goes on at 7:00 pm when I feed them.

When feeding them at 7:00 pm:

1. Turn down the FX5 output
2. Turn off the power head
3.. The lights are constantly facing the wall so the reflex ion is enough to see my zebras when eating. "It is the most happy time of the day for me".
4. The lights go off at 1:00 am

Before leaving to work at 5:45 am.

1. Turn up the FX5 output
2. Turn on the power head
3. The lights are off till 7:00 pm

When I meant algae, I do get some in the glass at least some green dots every 3rd or 4th day of the week. No much but I would prefer not to be there if you know what I mean. I want to leave them alone without me putting my hands inside the tank all the time to clean etc.

I will read more about this two to understand their habitat and behavior before introducing them to my tank.
- Sterbai
- Pygmies

When can I get some?
What other species zebra's keepers have?
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

I got my pygmy cories from Arizona Aquatic Gardens, although I'm sure there are other places. My sterbai I bought from a seller on Aquaria Central ( Mgamer). If you don't want to put your hands in the tank to scrape algae, I would suggest a Magfloat. It's a magnetized scraper that works great-and it's less than $10. Most fish stores have them.

William H. Danforth