How Long?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
jerry58
Obsessed!!

How Long?

Post by jerry58 »

Hi

I have searched this sit but can't find the answer which is at what time should I be concerned about the time my alpha male keeps the fry in the cave.Not seen any venturing out yet and their egg sack was used up about aprox 3 days ago.
I'm putting food in for them at night and they do look ok at the moment and ordered a growing on tank should be set up within a week or so using fully cycled filter from another tank and water from old tank to keep same water parameters.

Thanks Jerry
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

If your male is younger or newly paired with a female, he might keep his fries longer. I remember one of my males kept his fries up to 4 weeks. I found that those fries come out and look for food when lights off and swim back to their dad's cave once lights on. I have a few fries have done that even they were 2 months old.

I would say no worry. Those little buggers know what do to get their bellies full. :lol:
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi

Thanks twinspots_goby

Just wanted to make sure they was ok will leave them well alone.
I think that both females are trying to get in the same cave is this also normal I am worried that if he spawns so soon he will be exausted (if he does I am thinking of removing wrigglers from him.) I'm setting another tank up soon and cannot seperate them yet.(any comments)

Big thanks Jerry
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am not sure how muchg of it is dad keeping them in and the kids not wanting to leave home. On a number of occasions over the years I have seen a cave that was full of fry and a dad be empty during the morning cave check but at the after lights out check there will be a dad and 3 or 4 fry in there.

I think the only time the dad actually boots the brood is when he needs the space for the next spawning. Aside from that I think the kids kind of begin finding new digs on their own as it suits them.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Thanks for that looks like a few of the fry are scattered around the tank this morning will leave them for dad to decide what happens,well untill I get grow out tank set up they are all doing fine as they are at the moment.

Thanks Jerry
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I have had fry hypan trying to get back in the cave when the male has been trapping a female for the next spawn it is funny to watch, I think they get to a stage where they zip in and out at will until they are to big.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk