HELP!!! my zebra's are dying

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

unungy
Groupie

HELP!!! my zebra's are dying

Post by unungy »

Hi everyone..

I just got 12 wc zebras I found 2 dead in the tank. I don't know what is going on. Could you help.

PH 7.6 temp 80 F, I've noticed red dots on the body I just got them yesterday. The otherones seems to be pretty healty but I'm not sure not.

The temp dropped to 76 yesterday in my garage and I put an external heater to help it.

Any help will be appreciated. im in CA 91040
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Do you have ammonia? Nitrite? Was the tank cycled? How big is the tank? We need more information. MUCH more information. How warm is the tank now?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

no amonia, no nitrite, the temp is now 80F, Yes the tank was cycled for 3 weeks. I got them yesterday... Should I put them onto a different tank for now?
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

my ph is 7.6 is that too hight?
Heliophobe
Groupie

Post by Heliophobe »

What about nitrates? And have you tested all your water parameters since you put them in?

Also, what size tank is it? Are there any other fish in there or was it a fishless cycle?
John

Re: HELP!!! my zebra's are dying

Post by John »

culitos wrote:just got 12 wc zebras
When were they imported?
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

1. Nitrite was too high, I decided to do a 50 % water changed and stay up till 3:30 in the morning today. I got up at 6:00am and went straight to my garage to check the fish. I don't see any more fish dying or doing any weird stuff.

2. I have kitumba frontosas in the tank, I'm selling them so no place to put them for now.

3. It is a 75Gal, currenlty running with sponge filter, thats how they had it setup there where bought from. it was a very simple setup Should I chance my filtration? what filter should I buy? If I buy a new filtration system Can introduce it to the tank?

4. They were imported 6 weeks ago, and they were on hold for 3 weeks so they been in the country for about 2 months.

PS: Thank you for your help guys!! I felt like i lost my right hand with my too poor babies dying on me yesterday. I felt hopeless without being able to assist them in anyway.
Heliophobe
Groupie

Post by Heliophobe »

It looks like you threw off the balance and started a mini-cycle.

Those kitumba are Lake Tanganyikan, as I'm sure you know. They aren't the most aggressive of african cichlids but it isn't a good mix for either especially given your water parameters.

I would get them out of there asap. There really is no compromise here in my opinion.

What kind of sponge filter are you running? Does it have a powerhead?
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

no it doesnt have a powerhead, its a sponge air filter running from my air motor.

Thats how the other guy had it. If i have to go and buy one right now I can do that. what do you recommend?
Heliophobe
Groupie

Post by Heliophobe »

I don't know what to recommend other than getting the african cichids out of there.

What size / model sponge filter is it?
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

I don't know what model it is. You know those simple air filters with a sponge and a tube and the air comes from the top.
Im doing water changes every day at least 10% till I can get the fronties out of there. I ordered a canister filter FX5 what will help me a lot cycling the water. The zebras seems to be more stable now however I was wondering if I should give them some medicine what will help them just in case they got hurt of affected by the nitrite.

What should I give them?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Zebras do not do well with ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. All 3 can kill them.

I would suggest raising the water temp several degrees.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Thank you for that.... I lost 3 zebras and I felt that my heart was coming out. I learned it the hard way but thanks good they seem to do better now. I ordered a canister filster FX5 that will help me to to cycle and clean the water better.
Fingers cross!! I've noticed 2 of my zebras alwyas been alone on a corner male and female. I think they're getting ready.

I've bear tank, i'm trying to feed them well so they recover from the bad water condition. I have moved the fronties out of there too.

:-)

thank you all.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i wouldn't overfeed too much as if your water levels are high uneaten food wont help at all. hoover up all uneaten food as often as you can.
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Yes I've been doing it every day till I get my new canister filter FX5 that will arrive next Monday till then 10% water changes.

Thank you for your advise.

I could not believe that I saved $200 on the filter. It was adverised at 399 and found it on ebay for $199 a peice. I got 2.

I love ebay