Help with bloated zebras please!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

bengranger80
Groupie

Help with bloated zebras please!

Post by bengranger80 »

Hi
I have a 4 foot by 1 foot by 15inch aquarium housing about 12 zebras (10 adult 2 juvenile) It also houses countless red cherry shrimp.

I have had these zebras approx six months
temp 83f
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 or may be higher

The problem i see is that i have some severely bloated zebras. At first i thought some were full of eggs, but i am increasingly feeling this is just wishful thinking.

What should i do? They are feeding well, but have bulging underbellys, they rest on the swollen parts as it is the only body part to touch the bottom.
They also do not have a bluish tinge. I would say it is more red than blue, but not significantly red. Some also have fainter more blurred markings and dull eyes.
I feed them on Hikari discus food and also fresh brineshrimp

The red cherry shrimps are thriving, i have too many, must be about 400 in there.
There are also many small white things, i think they are copepods? they scuttle around in the gravel.
I have 2 powerheads with sponge filters with venturis and also a large external filter.
I do about 20 percent water change per week.

Are the red cherrys doing more harm than good?
Why are the zebras bloated?
At the moment i am considering stripping the tank of all objects caves etc. catching all the shrimps (impossible task) and treating with discus wormer.
Is this a good idea

Will medications kill the shrimps? What medications would you advise

Please help, I dont want to loose my pride and joy.
:( :( :(

PLEASE HELP!!
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Get us a picture. Fat zebras look much the way you described. Don't panic and kill them all medicating them. Do a water change if you MUST do something.

Also, I'm locking this thread because it's a cross post. Posting in more than one forum with the same question doesn't get you answers faster, it just ticks off the staff. Thanks!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]