unusual growth updated???????????? any help appreciated

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

unusual growth updated???????????? any help appreciated

Post by Zebedee »

this has appeared maybe a week or so ago and i'm wondering what the best cause of action i should do to get rid of it?
Last edited by Zebedee on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Wow, that's a new one on me. I've never seen anything like it. I'll ask around, see what I can find out.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

i think the first thing you need to do is place him in a seperate tank just in case it spreads.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i'm not too sure how long he has had it it could have been longer than a week. anyone know what this is? its quite light and doesn't look as pink as some of the tumors on previous posts he doesn't seem stressed but he also is not his angry self and not been fighting. but i have just upset the balence by swapping tanks. any ideas would be appreciated. i've tested the water levels and they are pretty fine ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrates are around 20
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I don't know how you feel about your zeb but I would call a vet if you have a practice that deals with 'exotics' locally, we have a vet in our family who does I have used him once to identify a disease that came with a fish I bought it meant a total irradication of the illness with no extra fatalitise in my mind it was worth the cost. I know growths can be removed from fish or if it is a disease you will get an exact diagnosis hence faster correct treatment, you could even print off the picture and take it into the vet to discuss if they can help.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i dont suppose anyone knows a vet in the south hampshire area who would deal with fish?
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i decided that i would separate him from the others today only to find him lifeless and upside down on his back. he wasn't dead and i was able just to pick him up with my hand he didn't struggle at all. he is now in a different tank with community fish (the only other cycled tank i have). although he looks as though he has taken a turn for the worse the growth has reduced??

i have also noticed some fungus or something growing inside the tank any action required???
John

Post by John »

First of all i am no expert in diseases but if it was my fish i'd treat with: Jungle Labs - Binox (Crystal)
I had good results with this product in the past, it's a broad spectrum product.
Good luck with your zeb, i hope he recovers.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i'm now thinking that the rest of the zeb tank may be affected as they do not look themselves very lathargic and lifeless. when some of them do swim they seem to look slighly unbalenced and bang into things, they also are not hiding like they would usually. this one seems as though it cant control its pelvic fins they seem like they are constantly being pushed down not allowing the fish to go down to the bottom??
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

can you get binox at my lfs. feel so gutted
John

Post by John »

Better do a big wc now, if any bacterial or fungus problem is in the tank you reduce the spreading of it.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
darry
Forum Follower

Move all zebras out of that tank immediately

Post by darry »

As the saying goes, a hiding zebra is a happy zebra. Given the look that they are not hiding and stay in the open already spell a disaster in the tank. At the same time, the best zebra are often those that you cannot catch. And yet you are able to handpick him up from that tank shown that their basic resistance had gone down a lot.

If you have others tanks, move the zebras into a cleaner tank and observe them further. No need to feed as they won't be eating, make sure a lot of caves for them to hid and recover from the shock. Set higher aeration and higher temperature as it is more ideal for them to recover. Observe them every now and then.

I believe this tank water quality had gone bad and you need a proper cleanup on this tank. Think about what you have done for the past 1 month and you should be able to figure out what trigger them to fall sick.
darry
Forum Follower

Medication

Post by darry »

On the topic of medication, i wouldn't advise you to try any medication without knowing the actually sickness of the zebras. Very often, by providing clean water and good care, the zebras can recover themselves over a period of time. And more often I had witness hobbists kill fishes by medication as they do not know the proper usage of medication for the sickness the fish is suffering from.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i'm going to do another water change it cant be too big as i havent got a tank to warm the water out of the tap don't want to drop the water more than 8 degrees centegrade. i have done 3 x 25% water changes from last 3 days. now should i medicate or not i trust john but now i'm not sure with what the other has said????? if no-one else answers i will medicate tomorrow morning as i dont know what else to do?????.
the last month i have moved my zebs to a different tank but i moved all media from the internal filter to keep the water safe the levels havent gone bad. i have added a new external filter to the new tank
ammonia is 0
nitrite is 0
nitrate is 10-20
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

It is pointing to a bactirial infection of some kind I would go with what John has advised doingnothing is not an option for sure. I do hope this has a happy ending fingers crossed for you.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk