unusual growth updated???????????? any help appreciated

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

John

Post by John »

Here in holland: with a member of the dutch pleco site that also added a extra external filter, read here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... e0=&swap=1

Page is translated by GOOGLE :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

to be honest i noticed the lump as i moved them to the other tank so his lump was definately there before although none of these symptoms of them not feeeling well they were hiding and alert and i struggled to get them out of the tank and into the new one all bunched in the corner. now i can put my hand in and pick him up. i have done several water changes in the last few days. i'm going to drain my old tank to empty fill it back up and heat the water in there then i can get a 75% water change done a little later on.
i've just been to my lfs and the guy was useless saying that his fish died with similar symptoms and wasn't really sure what stuff to give them as he had never heard of jungle labs binox. anyways i walked away with:
INTERPET ANTI INTERNAL BACTERIA.
now will this do the same sort of job?
i will try another smaller fish store hopefully with more experience see if he has binox before treating with what i just got.thanks for you're help john appreciated
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

just been to another fish store and they think that the fish might be stressed and the first fish has a tumor and by moving them into a new tank has stressed them. they said i shouldn't treat and stress the fish even more and to try feeding them garlic muscles and leave the light off??? now i'm in a dilema what to do????
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

The interpet No9 anti bacterial treatment is the one I would use in this case it has a good reputation over here. It can only help to turn the tank lights off I would not change there diet too drasticaly from what they are used too if all your fish are affected the growth on your first fish may have nothing to do with what is happening now. What is your local water supply like? do you filter the water before use with a HMA or RO. Are your zebs looking any better today?
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i think maybe they do look slightly better as they are hiding more when i come in the room. although when i came in it was pitch black in the room and they all looked really pale only for the colour to come back slightly after a few minutes i have only noticed one of them pale before other then when transporting but only usually one fish?? is it normal for them to go pale sort of ghost like. the interpet number 9 does it have serious side affects and will it stress the fish alot? i'm going to do a 75% water change in the morning with heated water to the same temps and i may consider treating them then i just dont want to make things worse. the main 3 levels are fine with nitrates at 10-20 ph is about 8.2 and always has been out of the tap, i havent tried to alter it i dont use ro units. i'll see how they are in the morning. the fish store told me to try piercing the lump with a needle to see if it produces puss as he thinks that it might be a wound thats swolen up. the fish are not bothered by each other and the 3 largest males were all right by each other. a month ago they would have been scrapping if they were that close. sorry just blabbering on now thanks for all the advise guys and gals appreciated
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Please no pin in the fish if you do that it will get an infection and die thats if the pain and stress doesnt kill it.
No 9 should be just fine I would get them on it straight away it should make them better. The fish going pale is a sure sign of stress be careful not to disturbe them much when you water change them this will stress them more, let us now how you get on.
John

Post by John »

Jo's Zebs wrote:No 9 should be just fine I would get them on it straight away it should make them better. The fish going pale is a sure sign of stress be careful not to disturbe them much when you water change them this will stress them more, let us now how you get on.
I have no personal experience with this product as it's not available here as far as i know, but i trust Jo's judgement on this product.
Keep us updated.
Greetings,
John
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i decided after doing my 70% water change that i would treat with the number 9 as i saw on the underside of one of the fish with a big ulser i checked a few others but they do not have the same. it says it works better with aquarium salt so i will add some in a while after i get it. it also says to remove carbon and zeolite. i removed the carbon but i wasn't sure which layer of the filters would be the zeolite? would it affect the treatment or just the filter.
the filters are jewel internal compact and eheim 2028 external? i pray this works its so stressful i think i may need some sort of treatment after this
thanks peeps :(
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I use a juwel tank just remove the black carbon filter they don't have the other in there, I woud not use aquarium salt myself but it is upto you they have hanged on this long I think there is a chance they will survive get them treated asap try not too stress although easy for me to say I would be going out of my mind if I was in your situation good luck.
Highlandken
Forum Follower

Post by Highlandken »

Jo's Zebs wrote: No 9 should be just fine I would get them on it straight away it should make them better. The fish going pale is a sure sign of stress be careful not to disturbe them much when you water change them this will stress them more, let us now how you get on.
The no9 anti internal is a good medication. I have used it before and find it quite effective. How hard is your tapwater (TDS)?
Good luck with your zeb's
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i'm confused just read the instuctions of the(AQUALIBRIUM) salt it says that a concentration of 9 grams per litre is required as a supportive measure when treating disease.
now on the number 9 treatment it says that it should be applied as 2 grams per litre.
these are both from interpet and have totally conflicting info on them i put a whole box in this morning thinking that i need another 6 boxes as per instructions on the salt box???
my tank is 200 litres meaning 7 boxes of 260 grams is just over the 1800 grams needed.
i'm not sure what to do i wont go with the higher amount unless someone assures me that this will be ok?
i have had a stressful couple of days and to top it off my christmas day and boxing day was yesterday and today as a family member was working away untill yesterday morning. i think i'm ready to expload :cry:
oh yeah my water is hard around the area but i do not own a tds meter do i need to get one?
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I would not put any more salt in your tank at all just the meds don't worry about TDS right now just keep the water parameters as normal as you can
John

Post by John »

How's your zebs today?
Greetings,
John
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i think they are looking better the first one with the lump is a bit more agile moving more and it looked like the lump was drying up so maybe it was not a tumor. they seem to be a bit more alert hiding when i enter the room i'm just hoping that i caught it in time for the one with the ulser on the underside it looked really sore. do these ulsers heal up once treated? this might be the reason for the fish seeming to push the pelvic fins down keeping their underside of the bottom. on the instructions of the treatment it says that it a 2 dose treatment with second dose on the 4th day and if a redose is required to be done on the 7th day. do you think it maybe wise to dose on the 7th day anyway just incase? fingers crossed this works.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

If on the 7th day they still have any symptoms or sores dose them then, if they are starting to hide and act more normaly it can only be a good sign. :)