Fry fighting!!

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
lrry93
Obsessed!!

Fry fighting!!

Post by lrry93 »

I have nine about 1/2" fry in a tank with plenty of hiding room yet 8 of them hang out together under one slate shelf why one other stays in the driftwood.
Today I went to look at the fry under the slate and two of them were in a terrible fight. It looked like the video of the two males fighting over the cave in another thread. It lasted about an hour before I broke it up. Is this normal activity at this age? Why would they be hanging out in the same spot and not claim a territory? Should I seperate them this young?
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

What size tank do you have them in? Tank size equals territory space. Also make sure there are a lot of hiding places in the aquarium in the form of caves (driftwood, pvc, flower pots, slate, etc.)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey Irry93,

It is a bit unusual that the fry are fighting already, at that sort of size they generally tolerate each other if they are from the same brood. Tank size shouldn't really be an issue as you say that there is plenty of cover but I would still be interested to know the size of the tank. It might be an idea to either add some more tank decor or to completely rearrange the existing decor. Hopefully this would froce them to find new hiding spots and with any luck they will split up and hide in different spots. As fishboy says make sure there are plenty of hiding places by providing lots of different types of tank decor.
lrry93
Obsessed!!

Post by lrry93 »

They are from different spawns. I have them in a ten gallon now. It has tons of cover. There are 3 slate shelfs and a peice of driftwood with tons of hiding areas. They all hang out within a few inches of each other though.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Another one of the members Cascudo had a similar problem with a fry from a different brood beating up on his younger brothers and sisters. He eventually had to put him in his own breeding trap. The 10 gallon tank should be ample especially that you have provided them with plenty of cover. I would rearrange all the decor and see if that helps. Also try taking out the slate shelfs so as to force them to use other hiding places. Failing that you may need to consider getting a bigger tank.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Irry

The only time I've had fry fighting was with, like yourself two disimilar spawns. Like yourself there were plenty of hinding places, for territories, yet ttwo of the larger fry took it upon themselves to have the Prime Site, under the same rock. I rearranged all tank furniture, and made sure that there was always enough food to go around. I'm not sure wehter it was the change in tank decor or the abundance of food that stopped them fighting. If there is competition for food there is a higher probability that the fish will fight. Especially if the "prime site" is in an area where food collects near by.

Hope this helps

Rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've noticed my fry doing the tailshaking to eachother, but have interpreted it as youngsters practicing for adult behaviour - much like young deer and cows will headbutt while growing up.. Maybe this is a misinterpretation of their behaviour, but I've never seen them get serious about it, no biting or anything like that.

I can see that a younger fry could get stressed if a larger fry starts picking on him though, so if it gets to be too much it might be a good idea to separate them.