Feeding frozen mysis shrimps

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Ameekplec
Forum Follower

Feeding frozen mysis shrimps

Post by Ameekplec »

I was wondering if it was safe to feed my zebra fry (~1.5 inches, 9 months old) mysis shrimps? They are small mysis shrimp, about 4 mm long.

Right now I am feeding them an alternating diet of shrimp pellets, Hikari carnivore pellets, NLS growth #00 and wanted to add some more variety to their diet. I try to feed twice a day, but usually it is once at night, and they seem to eat everything. Everyone is healthy and no one looks skinny, so they are eating well :)

Also, I have some earthworm sticks that I may start feeding them too. Any good?

Any other suggestions for feeding them?
windy1958
Forum Follower

Post by windy1958 »

i feed my young zebs frozen mysis with no probs at all
try crushing up the earthworm sticks they really love them as well
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have yet to find a food they like more than frozen cyclop-eeze. I normally make a mix which is about 75% cyclops and then the balance is a 50/50 mix of frozen daphmia and frozen bbs. The adults seems to love it as well.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Ameekplec
Forum Follower

Post by Ameekplec »

Thanks! Their diet expands! :)

I was concerned maybe that they would choke on them, much like blood worms. Incidentally, when is the safe age/size (probably more dependent on size) to start on blood worms? I always hear warnings not to feed juvies and fry blood worms, but I don't think I've come across a definitive size/age when it becomes safer to do so.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

My fry are around 9 months old and feed fine on bloodworms, currently around about 1.75" in size.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Ameekplec
Forum Follower

Post by Ameekplec »

How often are you feeding your fry?

I try to feed more than twice a day, but they never come out in the daylight, so I don't even bother with daylight feedings, which usually takes me down to one or two feedings at best. Should I feed more often?
windy1958
Forum Follower

Post by windy1958 »

i feed mine 4 times a day
Ameekplec
Forum Follower

Post by Ameekplec »

My little guys are fairly timid right now, and they pretty much stay hidden together in the dark, so feeding them during the day would be hard. I haven't even seen them feeding during the night, and the only way I know they are feeding is that they're not thin.

Any suggestions as to getting them to feed more often?
windy1958
Forum Follower

Post by windy1958 »

i crush all my foods up into a powder so it can get distributed around the tank easier with the flow
it also get into were they are hiding
i find they love to chase after their food aswell
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Feed mine once a day, an hour before lights out in our fish house.
Ameekplec
Forum Follower

Post by Ameekplec »

Good to know guys, thanks for all the advice. I've only had them a few weeks now (two weeks today :)) And I think they're starting to get comfortable, as they're hanging out more and more near the edge of the hiding spots. Hopefully they'll like to come out any play after a few more weeks in there.

I'll try feeding twice a day as it stands (once after lights out, and again in the morning 3 - 4 hours before lights on).