Peoples aims

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

boom boom!! i bet i will be the butt of every joke now!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

What a bummer, I missed out on it !!!!!!
By the way Shell, My aims are identical to Adams and Dr.P.
Sorry, too tired to copy them all out again.

Des.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

thats a jobbie! you too tired, i am off to bed now must remeber to lock the back doot ! ;) before i go
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Too much, too much!!!! :lol: :lol:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Rob has edited me again! lol sorry they just keep coming, i am a naughty girl! :oops:
Adam

Post by Adam »

If you want to say $hit you have to write it like this, if not it comes up as jobbie. Rob will probably change that too very soon :lol: . Shell I think Rob is watching you :lol: .
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

hehe i know fun aint it!!!
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Adam wrote:IMHO, I don't think that there is heaps of money to be made from breeding and selling zebras. If there was the far eastern fish farms would already be on the case. The problem is that zebras are not a prolific fish, if you get a couple from a spawn that make it to adulthood you're doing well. Then there's the fact that zebras are slow growers so any fry will have to be grown on for almost a year before being sold. Unless you have several breeding groups I can't see that breeding zebras would ever be profitable. The best you could hope for is to cover your overheads and your initial investment, if you're lucky. That said there are people making a bit out of zebras but you can hardly call it a regular income. I think that anyone that has got into zebras purely for profit may well end up being disappointed.

My aims, well to breed my zebras of course. Perhaps make a bit of money out of it, if not I don't really care. More importantly, for me anyway, is to secure the future of the zebra. Fame and glory perhaps, but for the time being I get immense enjoyment from just looking at and pampering my collection. I can't see much beyond that really, over the years I have kept a great many varieties of fish but nothing compares to the zebra. I still remeber my first ever zebra that I bought back in "91/"92, it use to be family event everytime he came out of hiding.

Just my personal thoughts on the subject.
Well said Adam! I am with you. I love the fish and want to create more, not for the possible dollar signs down the road (which by the time the baby is sellable will be very little), but because I want to see them become more available in the hobby. My fear is they will become extinct or uncollectable in the wild, so the more people breeding them, the better. It would be a shame to see them go the same way as the Carrior Pigeon. I raise a few other fish that are almost extinct in the wild (Several species of Goodeids), mostly so I know there is a source of these for someone if the need arises. Will they ever be reintroduced to the areas they have become endangered in? I doubt it. But at least they will remain in the hobby where people can see real live specimens, instead of only pictures in a book or online.
Best, Barb
Currently run 25+ tanks and 6 above ground ponds. Breed many species of fish, including catfish, plecos, angels, Uaru's, German Blue Rams, livebearers, even snails.