number of caves?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

number of caves?

Post by Zebedee »

i have 9 caves in my tank. soon to have 14 zebs in hopefully. should i restrict the number of caves to definate males as i was reading an old article which said: a sure way to slow or stop the breeding process is to have more caves than there are males. is this true?
second to last paragraph:
http://www.discoveraquatics.co.uk/zebra/realities.htm
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

Anyone have any ideas about this please?
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

My tank has 6 caves and 2 adult zebs, saying that they always use the same 2 caves, so could probably take the other 4 out.

I have had 4 spawns so far with no problems about too many caves. This is just my opinion mind you so may not be correct.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

have you registered as a breeder as i dont remember seeing you're id in the breeder section
John

Re: number of caves?

Post by John »

Zebedee wrote:i have 9 caves in my tank. soon to have 14 zebs in hopefully. should i restrict the number of caves to definate males as i was reading an old article which said: a sure way to slow or stop the breeding process is to have more caves than there are males. is this true?
second to last paragraph:
http://www.discoveraquatics.co.uk/zebra/realities.htm

That's a rather old article you're quoting, i think some of the info is really outdated in there.
I would put in at least 1 cave per fish and also some other hiding spots beside the caves.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Zebedee wrote:have you registered as a breeder as i dont remember seeing you're id in the breeder section
Just registered now.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

so you think i should need 14 caves, over 50% at the moment are being unused that i have already, as some of the smaller fish just like to hide under the slate on the left hand side.

I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

If you have spare caves I would leave it at that, if and when they become occupied then I would add more.

Also the unoccupied caves maybe down to the current, the caves have to be positioned in a certain way for the zebs to move in.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

have you got any pics of you're setup / fishes you're tank must be overflowing with all the fry :lol: i'm pretty sure my friend had some L260 which he got from a place called fishy business its in eastbourne they may well post to you if you are still looking.