Building interior.....

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: What did you do to the polystyrene in the end?
See the rocks in the left corner? I covered the polystyrene with those. That way they won't be able to dig down to it.
Adam wrote:
Your tank looks like one in the effects range, I've got one of those except it's in the aluminium finish.
Yes, it's an effect line Aquastabil :) I have two identical ones on each side of the TV. I might even be able to get the attention of male members of the family drawn away from the TV that way ;) Don't think so though LOL
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve, I think it was a good idea that you covered the areas that were likely to become exposed with rocks. I have read somewhere that fish ingesting polystyrene can suffer intestinal blockages as it just sits in the gut and doesn't get broken down.

I like the effects line of aquariums, they are a bit pricey but well worth the money. Very sturdy build and you can get some nice cabinet combos, I especially like the new range of intergrated light hoods that can be suspended from the ceiling. I enquired about one for my effects tank a while back but it was working out to be too expensive, £450 I think. I could get another tank for that price, something in the Juwel or Rena range.

I like the matching tanks on either side of the TV idea, just be careful with the water changes. Thinking of doing someting similar in the back room with a Juwel/Rena on either side of the fireplace :wink: .
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I picked up this tank secondhand, so the price wasn't too bad really. it came with a UV-filter and an Eheim 2128, pluss all the accessories you tend to gather + food for over £200, unfortunately all had to be thrown away as they were past the best by date. Doesn't really matter as I don't feed dried foods a lot....

Anyways, I was greeted by the most peculiar sight this morning. The water was green! Is it at all possible to get an algaebloom 24 hour after a tank is filled?? I somehow suspect the previous owner might have had an algae problem, and - stupid me - didn't chage the hoses on the filter.... Can algae spores survive in a hose that hasen't been used for a month? Any idea where else this can come from?

Oh yes, I can also pick up long strands of bright green algae from the coconut hair - not a great deal, but definately green organic matter.

:?:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds like you got a good deal, I really ought to try buying second hand instead of paying through the nose for new tanks. A word of caution about second hand tanks, try to view them when they are set up so that you can check for leaks and avoid tanks that have been left to stand empty for a long while. When I moved last year my effects tank was left empty for about a month or so and when I filled it up it leaked. It was resealed and is now ok, I can't see how this happened as I was extra careful when moving it. Perhaps the silicone dried out too much and cracked or something. Is this even possible?

Unfortunately algae is very resilient, spores can survive being dried out. There are even species of algae that survive and flourish in hot volcanic springs, I really ought to cut down on all the nature programmes.
I see that you got a UV with the tank I would slap that on for a few days so as to clear the algal bloom, as for the stuff that's not in suspension unfortunately you'll have to manually remove it. I would normally stay clear of chemicals but if you find yourself losing the battle you could always win the war by nuking the prolem with an algaecide :twisted: . I take it there's no fish in there yet?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Oh no - no fish in there yet - I might be a viking but the cruelty gene has been dormant for a few generations now :lol:

Luckily there's no leaks, I was worried about that must admit! But it was a good deal.. I paid £450 for the lot.

I've also seen the weirdest toughest algaes imagine in documentaries, ones that live only a few feet from sulphur spewing 300C hot volcanos! Life finds a way, as they said in a more commecially aimed movie :roll:

I'm a bit reluctant to start the UV-filter before the filter gets a chanse to start a bacterial colony, but maybe I should worry about the green water first? This is too weird, I've heard a lot of people having trouble with green water, but never experienced it myself. Then 24 hour after filling a tank - whammo LOL

Tell me one more time how I should go about this - algae gone first - then bacterial colony in the filter - or the other way around?

Guess this is one of those things you get when buying secondhand :roll:
Last edited by McEve on Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

A few snapshots:

Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I want that tank!!! :mrgreen:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I want to LIVE in that tank! It's fabulous! Right... where's me snorkel?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks :D I've had three Angels and a school of Cardinals moving in now, and I think this is going to work really well - visually. I'm a bit nervous about the sand though, even though I didn't use more sand than would normally go in a tank that size, I'm a bit worried about the debth of it in some places so I'm not totally convinced I'll be able to get a safe and sound enviroment with this setup.

I've let a 2224 that's been going in another tank for a year run in this tank the last few days, and the new inhabitants seem to be doing fine, but I'll probably wait a year or so before letting anything valuable move in LOL
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Lets see the pics with the new inhabitants! :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Well, it's not easy to get the colors right.. don't know why... I think I must have hit a button I shouldn't have on the camera LOL Anyways, something like this, but the Javamoss is much brighter green :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Oh wow! That looks great!!!!!!

I did a giant blitz on my big tank this weekend and it's looking a bit bare and pathetic now. I'm staring at it trying to get inspiration to change it a little... Your picture is very inspirational. I will try and look at my tank again with fresh eyes, to see what comes forth. I can't re-build it like this one (and no need as I don't have plecs in there) but the whole layered look is just wonderful. :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve, I must agree with the other guys. You certainly have done a great job on your tank, it's just a shame that you are going to keep L260s in there. Perhaps you'll see sense later on and put some zebras in there instead :D . Has the algal bloom cleared yet?

I was just wondering, you know me, if you didn't get a rather large helping hand with the project from Notnoisy :wink: .
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The algae bloom has cleared :)

What?! The nerve! Suggesting I can't do this alone because I'm an old woman huh :twisted:

You can ask him how much he helped ;) LOL He helped me when I needed muscles for the sawing, I admit it - and he is after all a gentleman ;)

Oh, and thanks - I'm glad you like it :D I just hope it will work...
notnoisy

I did help, but...

Post by notnoisy »

...my McEve designed, planned, siliconed the whole thing. All I did was helping with some of the sawing and drilling :) Pure muscle-work.

I'm really proud of what she's made and looking forward to her changes to the old 250L :)