Looks like the hiatus is over

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
TwoTankAmin

Looks like the hiatus is over

Post by TwoTankAmin »

My alpha male has been on eggs for a few days now, but it took me 3 days to confirm that fact. Also fatty is in the 2nd main breeding cave and he acts more like he is on eggs than he is advertising for a lady. But I can't see past him to the rear of the cave cause he is so wide.
Here I was all set to start the dry season and before I could even get things in gear, the dang fish went on their own.

Sometimes I wonder why they even bother keeping me around. Wait- it must be for the cyclops and blood worms.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
pureplecs
Groupie

Post by pureplecs »

:lol:
This is Mother Nature reminding us who's boss I think...lol

Awesome news! :D
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Todays cave check revealed the other male now has a fm trapped in the cave vacated by the last spawn and dad. The first dad is now in the number #2 cave.

Looks like the spawning season is in bloom again :lol:
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

TTA, maybe your farlos inspired your zebras to get to it !! Congrats !!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

One of the things I have believed for some time now regarding fish who spawn when triggered by dry and rainy seasons is that the barometric pressure changes that result from the stormy weather involved are more important than the temp change part.

It amazes me how often I have seen my corys, plecos, farlos spawn when I have done water changes in concert with the arrival of a storm. And it seems to work whether it is a rain or snow storm. I have never owned an ro unit nor a TDS meter and have never done a full blown dry and rainy season. At best I skimp on or skip water changes beyond a vac for a couple of weeks and then do a big change to coincide with a storm. For me it has worked.

The farlo spawn and the zebra trapping occured w/i the same 24 hour period and we had a big rain storm with lighting etc. that hit us the night of the farlo spawn and continued into the time the trapping ccurred.