Breeding - Am I Close?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Breeding - Am I Close?

Post by mistern2005 »

I got my zebras over two purchases one in September 2006 and the second in February 2007. As best I could tell they were probably 4-8 months old when I got them. So some are probably around 2 years old. Here is the link to picutre of them now:

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4618

Now that they are older and in a tank with lots of hiding places and are getting comfortable I see them quite often - many venture out during feeding time and some are always playing/fighting on the rocks. At night I notice them all over the tank (I have a moonlight so I can see what's doing). Before the transition to thier new tank about 3 or 4 months ago, I NEVER saw any of them come out of hiding, ever - not even at night.

I noticed one recently start showing interest in a slate cave (this is the first time any of the slate caves have been utilized - other than when they peek thier heads into them at night). I am not sure if it's a male or female, but it's started spendng all day in the cave - tail out, just relaxing! This is definitely a new behavior.

Anyhow, I am super anxious for them to start breeding - just like anyone else who keeps zebras! Are they getting close to breeding, or are they still too young? I figure the change of overall behavior must indicate some level of maturity but I'm not sure. Are there any signs or behaviors I can look for as indicators that the baby zebra pleco making might be starting? Any ideas - any tips to help them along other than playing romantic music for them??? :lol:
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Well, it sounds like at least one male is getting close. The parking in the cave with the tail hanging out is typical male behavior when trying to attract a female. I call it advertising. Whether he is mature enough for an actual spawning may be another issue. Also, he does need a mature fm and until you spot two in the same cave, odds are good a fm is not yet ready.

The other thing is when young zebras first start to spawn, it may take a few tries before you get any good results. New to spawning males often mess up and may eat the eggs or accidentally boot them from the cave. New "couples" just may not do it quite right. And even when they get it right, the younger the spawners, the smaller the clutch of eggs will be.

Be patient, these fish live a real long time and once they begin to spawn they will do so for many years.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.