does this sound correct?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Skye
Groupie

does this sound correct?

Post by Skye »

found this profile on L046.
wanted to know if the diet (and all the info) was 100% correct... no-one on here has ever said they feed the little guys mangoes! lol.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profi ... apleco.xml

tks...
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I wouldn't give mine fruit, somehow I don't think the fructose can be very good for them, at least not the amount you find in fresh fruit. I don't think it's a good idea to leave the fruit in the tank until it's rotten either.

I guess this is one of those things you have to consider when you keep them in the confines of an aquarium, you get a much more concentrated enviroment, and pollutants that wouldn't pose a risk in nature, becuase of the constant onflow of clean water, can be fatal in a tank.

This is just my opinion, others here might disagree and might be correct in doing so
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I think I would agree with you McEve. I mean, sure, fruit does fall into the rivers. Aren't there fruit eating pirhana? But in the confines of an aquarium the potential for it to go off quickly (much more quickly than protein foods) causing pollution in the tank would cause me concern. I don't know enough to guess about how good it is or isn't for the fish.
Skye
Groupie

Post by Skye »

what if...

you know, how some of you make your own fish food by running a mixture of things through a blender? ( remember Rob telling us about his recipe once...) well howz about adding a bit to that? (thats the only way i can see em eating it in a tank enviro anyhow...)

would that be better?? or is it a unanimous "scrap the fruit thing altogether" across the board. i mean... how is rotting fruit any worse than rotting shrimp or fish guts? :?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hey Skye

I think the recipe you're refering to is the famous McEve Cuisine!! Have a look in the hints and tips section.

As far as the mango goes, I have certainly never heard of it being offered as part of the zebra diet, but I see know reason why, (in small quantities) it can't be added to the likes of McEve's recipe. The primary factor being the age old rule of remove all uneaten food before it spoils.

:wink:
Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Skye
Groupie

Post by Skye »

oops... sorry McEve... that was your recipe? cool! ok well, um, ya.... thats what i thought... maybe oneday, when i can actually FIND some zebras less than a small mortgage, i'll try it... and let you all know what happens... :lol:

ciao