watching them with binoculars

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

watching them with binoculars

Post by ApacheDan »

I know this sounds a bit silly, but as we all know all Zebras are shy, specially if you are right in front of the tank. As a result, you won't see them much, since they will swim for cover. I got my setup of 4- 20 gal long tanks (only 2 are with zebras) in a garage, with no windows. To simulate daylight/moonlight, I got automatic light strips with low voltage about 5 feet away from the tanks, so they get a subdued daylight. When I feed them at night, and just before the daylights go out and the nighlights kick in, I stand behind the lights & become invisible to them! Good news is that you get to see all kinds of activity in the tank, also with my L134 and L066 tanks. Bad news is that I have to be about 9 feet away from the tank. So I'm experimenting with binoculars, with good results, but a bit blurry because now they become too close with the glasses. I'm thinking about setting a tripod with a camera to take pics from that distance. Does any photographer here can give me some hints about what should be the right X power for glasses & camera?
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

Yes, I have even more trouble since I have impaired long vision.
As soon as I sneak close to the tank, they all disappear.
I keep meaning to contact the binoculars store to see if there is a type of binocular which will focus below a couple of metres.
Most of the high powered ones only want to focus down to 6 metres or higher.
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

Not much help to you overseas forum members but recommended to me was these http://www.aoe.com.au/8x32_odyssey.html

Apparently they can focus as close as your own feet, and the 32 means its quite good in low light. 8x means you get to see your plecs 8 times bigger. :)
Spunky
Forum Follower

Post by Spunky »

This made me laugh... picturing all the zeb owners perched on a reclining chair 6 ft away from their tanks watching the zebs with binoculars.

Just dont tell my husband, he already laughs when i talk to my fish... so telling him i want fish to watch through binoculars?!?! I dont think so.
75g: Turquoise severum, 6 khuli loaches, bristlenose
58g: JD
20g: 4 Dwarf puffers, ghost shrimp
30g: testing for leaks
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

:lol:
pureplecs
Groupie

Post by pureplecs »

Those binoculars need to include a good digital camera in the design... THAT would be awesome. :lol:
Spunky
Forum Follower

Post by Spunky »

pureplecs wrote:Those binoculars need to include a good digital camera in the design... THAT would be awesome. :lol:
Great thinking!
75g: Turquoise severum, 6 khuli loaches, bristlenose
58g: JD
20g: 4 Dwarf puffers, ghost shrimp
30g: testing for leaks
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

Got my new binoculars and discovered I only "thought" the plecs were sitting still. Actually, they wave their little fins, suck the floor without moving every so often, and generally watch everything happening around in and out of the tank. Interesting little creatures. 8)