Zeb and tank setup question

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
ZebKeeper
Groupie

Zeb and tank setup question

Post by ZebKeeper »

Hi all.

I am from melbourne (AU) and just register to this forum and have done a lot of research in here about the tank setup. stil have few question needs to be clarify.

1. I am looking around to make DIY slate cave, I went to tile shop today and look at the slate that they sell, 1 side of the tile is fine and smooth and the other side is rough. will it injured the zebs? where should i get the right slate from (tile shop, nursery,...)? is 2.5cm H x 3.5cm W x 12 cm L is the good size? Also i try to do vinegar test today on lime stone and slate rock by our some vinegar of the surface. both of them doesnt have any bubbles, but the different that the limestone do absorb the vinegar. Is it the right way to test it?

2. Someone said it is better to have bare bottom tank if you want to breed them, others said to have a fine sand is better. which 1 is better/easier to maintain?

3. t try to feed your fish before the lights out, is that mean that feed them and turn off the fish tank light?

4. how long does it takes for the fry to grow to 2.5-3cm head to end of tail and how long it will take to go to 5cm?

5. if anyone know where to get fish at that size in melbourne and how much are they?

6. what are the best food for them that i can get easily from LFS?

7. how long should i keep that fish for before they start to breed?

8. I'll put some driftwood, anubias and slate rack (If i able to do DIY) any other suggestion that i should/ shouldnt put it in?

thanks for the response guys

cheers.