Hi all from Rosie, Surrey (Newbie)

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Silvaquest
Forum Follower

Post by Silvaquest »

About the export of fish beginning of April?! :?
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

i have not read anything about this? any more details on the matter? where did u hear this?

cheers, J
L046 x 16 + Fry
Silvaquest
Forum Follower

Post by Silvaquest »

PFK I believe. From what I can remember exporting of wild fish is no longer possible as of the 1st April. I'll double check my facts.
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

so where are you getting these from, the wild? :?

i dont understand :dunno: currently is illeagle to Export these fish from brazil, but not illeagle to import from anywhere, but i do remember some new species being mentioned and from certain areas that are no longer allowed to be caught for sale but read nothingabout any not being allowed to be imported...?
L046 x 16 + Fry
Silvaquest
Forum Follower

Post by Silvaquest »

Oh I don't no now, getting confused myself :(

From what I've heard because of the risk of the fish being rare and endangered there will be a ban. A list of fish hasn't been produced until April. With the Zebs bein a species with so few numbers, they are more than likely to be included. From what you are saying this is already the case.

With this in mind I wanted to get some Zebs before this was put into to place incase prices increased. I was very much prepared to pay £250 for one from Tri-mar Aquaria, but he is no longer able to supply this species. So I have found an aquarium where I can get two for £350 or 3 for £500.

It would seem that I may have wires crossed.

I am sorry if I have caused havack!
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

are the fish you are getting wild caught adults? or captive bred adults? or young? are you buying them from abroad, e.g Germany, America, Brazil, or from somewhere in the UK?

the ban on export of L046 from the wild (brazil) was put into place in 2003/2004 (somewhere arround here, someone correct me if i am wrong) :dunno:

i cant see there being a new ban on importing any "wild caught" because they are not legaly allowed to be sourced from the wild for export. any imported now from europe, asia, or america are either wild caught before the ban or captive bred, F1, F2 even F3 etc... however there is no doubt some individuals are illeagly getting past customs and smuggling them out into the rest of the world...

but if you can find any article that explains what you were thinking you read/ heard about then please post it :)

but i hope you have just got a bit confused or been told some wrong info (mabe from seller to get you to pay more? :iwonder: ) and that there is not going to be a ban on import of them...

cheers, J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Silvaquest
Forum Follower

Post by Silvaquest »

They are captive bred young, not even two years. They are from the UK.

What you are saying does make more sense. We shall find out non the less. I'll find that information.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

the ban only effects certain fish species like channa (snakeheads)

pleco's are still fine thank god!!!! 8)
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

thats what i thought, i didnt read anything about plecos being banned...

looks all good then for us at the moment atleast! :D

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Silvaquest
Forum Follower

Post by Silvaquest »

Hello,

Been a week since buying my first 2 Zeb's.

I was a bit concerned at first. They both seemed to hide behind the heater (which has a protective casing, so no damage to them) all day everyday but the tank has 3 caves and not eating.

so last Friday I did a 10% water change and re-vamp on tank. I took out all the caves and added a huge piece of bogwood with rocks. I then gently encouraged them towards the centrepiece away from the corner.

There was still no activity until Monday evening when one of them started darting about untop of the bogwood, the second slowly followed suit. They were both out and about for a good couple of hours before lights out. This is my first opportunity to view them properly since buying them.

They don't seem to be shy at all now, even appearing into view an hour after lights being put on this morning. "Rio" is about 1.5 in length & has a slight tinge of blue on his/her dorsal & pectoral fins, so from what I have learned I assume he/she is in good condition. Unfortunatly his/her buddy "Xingu" has a snub nose and is about an inch in length, love him/her all the same. Both have amazing charater.

They are both amazing Zeb's and I could watch them for hours on end if I didnt have work to go to lol.

Breeding is out of the question, obviously, but I also suspect that they are from the same batch of eggs.

Can anyone give some advice on feeding. I have tried algae wafers, frozen pellets, bloodworms and brine shrimp with multivit (which is now added directly to the water) I have noticed that since adding the bogwood, they have started to chew on that. From what I have read it is a good source of food.

Thanks all,
Rosie
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

try zm foods, tetra prima, and brineshrimp pellets and blood worm pellets, try to avoid feeding live or frozen bloodworm as the are a bit small and could chooke on it. mine love the brineshrimp pellets best but also try nutrafin max sinking complete food tablets another food that mine go crazy for...

they are omnivorous but do prefer meatier foods opposed to veg but will eat it now and then...
and yes they do love to rasp on the wood

any pics?

cheers, J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Silvaquest
Forum Follower

Post by Silvaquest »

Thanks for the advice, shopping on Saturday then lol.

Some good news they did eat properly last night. Food wasn't visible this morning...yaaay!

No...no pics as of yet, wanted them to settle first but shall get some Saturday now that I no their happy.

Rosie
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Good to hear they are settling in and eating :D