Remember: they grow!

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Remember: they grow!

Post by McEve »

My alpha male has had his favourite cave now for 6 months. He's sired three spawns in this cave, all in september and november last year.

Since then he's had a female visiting him several times, which to my dismay turned out to be false alarms every time! The day before yesterday I decided to remove his cave and replace it with a larger one as I noticed he couldn't get in the cave without folding both his pectoral fins - and today, he's guarding eggs!

So remember to replace the cave with a larger one as the male grows, or there won't be enough room for him AND the female, allowing them to do what we want them to do.

I will do the same with popeye the sailor forearms :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's a good point McEve, I didn't really think about that but it makes perfect sense. Would those have been the same caves that Dr Gribb sells?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

What size did you start off with? and what size are you on now?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Sorry about not replying earlier, I plain forgot I'm afraid...

Anyway, he used to have a cave with an opening of 3cmx2cm. The cave he's in now is .5cm larger all around.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

How many spawns have u had McEve, you always seem to be busy posting u have a new batch!! very exciting!
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

will he move to a bigger cave if one is in the tank i plan to set up some sort of unremovable rockwork (well save moving every peice out at once)
in the tank for a natural look so should i make sevral sized boxes or all of them bigger then they will realy need
Thebuddy is planning his tank
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I would make non removable caves in different sizes. This way he can choose the one he feels the most comfortable with, and will change cave as he grows ;) Depending also on if he likes the way the current goes compared to the caveopening is facing.... and mood :P
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

i want to make one of those current things that makes it like a river what way do they like the caves facing if there is a current?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I used to have my caves at different angles so I has myself covered. Having read through a few articles it would seem the caves should point away from the current...

Here's a quote from the article I found:

One very important point that should be made is that the current should not be aimed directly at the spawning cave. This will cause the male to abandon the cave. I was asked about this recently and decided to experiment with it. It was several weeks before the male would go back to the site

I've read the whole article (and many others from the same site) and although some of the info. would now seem dubious at best the over all article is still pretty much spot on.

Here's a link the whole article:
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/inde ... bra_plecos

Perhaps Rob could see whether we could host these here too. :D
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I just read the whole article with yoga like concentration... Captivating stuff!

This article could be written by my twin brother... LOL :lol:

"At first, I did not want to write this article because the possibility of losing a large portion of my income. However, I realized that by sharing my information someone else may be able to use it to start raising some of the expensive fish that I would like to have and in the process lower the price."

This may just put an end to all those frequent tank setup questions from newcomers...

I agree with plasctic mac, please can we sticky this?

Kind regards

Bader
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

the price will never go down to far becuase they take forever to grow and only have a few fry at a time
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

That is an opinion. Which I feel is innacurate...

These fish are worth whatever somebody is willing to pay. Teach people that if they snub sellers above a certain price and prices will bomb.

Get me?
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]