Deformed fin!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

smegga
Groupie

Deformed fin!

Post by smegga »

One of my Zebras fin looks wierd, look att the link below.

http://medlem.spray.se/htse/L046/def.jpg

Can this deform be passed on to the frys, he hopfully will have in the future?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Smegga

How long have you had the fish? It certainly doesn't look like it has been caused by re-growth, so I would think this is probably more likely a deficiency or constraint placed on the tail when the fish was very very young. Obviously I can't say for definate but I think the chances of the fish passing on this ailment would be low as it would have to be genetic.

Looks like a healthy enough fish so I doubt you have anything to worry about.

The other possibility, is that the fish has had it's tail badly damaged at some point and it has grown back in this manner.

Hope this helps.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

the question is... could it be a genetic deformity, a naturally occuring deformity whereby genetics are not involved or a break in the bone that never healed. Any of those three are possible.
smegga
Groupie

Post by smegga »

Rob wrote:Hi Smegga

How long have you had the fish? It certainly doesn't look like it has been caused by re-growth, so I would think this is probably more likely a deficiency or constraint placed on the tail when the fish was very very young. Obviously I can't say for definate but I think the chances of the fish passing on this ailment would be low as it would have to be genetic.

Looks like a healthy enough fish so I doubt you have anything to worry about.

The other possibility, is that the fish has had it's tail badly damaged at some point and it has grown back in this manner.

Hope this helps.

Rob
I got this fish when it was 1 inch. and i got a good price when i pointed at the tail. :P

This zeb and another i had a big fight after a week in my tank. not enough caves i think. And the zeb he fight with got a part of its back fin ripped of.
But the tail looked like this before the fight..
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi again.
the question is... could it be a genetic deformity, a naturally occuring deformity whereby genetics are not involved or a break in the bone that never healed.
This hits the nail on the head in a far more consise manner than I managed.

The fact that the fish has been like that from a young age reduces the likelihood of it being bad re-growth.

From my experience I have only seen the occasional fin deformity all of which could be atributed to a growth anomaly or regrowth, as opposed to a genetic mutation. So, fingers crossed I think that there is less likelihood that it will be hereditory.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

A agreed that it's most likely deformed at birth. As for it being a genetic deformaty. I hate to say it, but I am afraid it will. That's how gold fish comes about.
smegga
Groupie

Post by smegga »

Thanks for your answers, i realy hope that i dont have to see this on the frys.

I promise i will let you now.